Saw surgeon today; at least we have a "plan"

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/11 8:09 am - OH
The surgeon I saw today (a surgeon that I like and respect, that I have used over the last 10 years for three lipoma removals, a pelvic mass (and ovary) removal, and a breast biopsy) echoed the concern of my RNY surgeon about creating more scar tissue by going in and doing an exploratory surgery without any real idea of what we are looking for other than existing scar tissue.  He was not at all sure why I have the area where it is tender to the touch and is achy much of the time and said that scar tissue itself should NOT hurt unless it is impacting some other organ.  He is hesitant to do surgery only to find nothing.... and to have created more scar tissue and not solved the problem.

He did, however, listen very patiently (and asked a lot of questions) about the level of pain and any othger symptoms that I have with these episodes of severe pain (a bloated feeling and occasional nausea are the only other symptoms).  He thinks the most likely explanation is scar tissue eiterh not enabling the intestine to move freely under certain cir****tances or an internal hernia that resolves itself but then reoccurs down the road.  He agreed that I should not have to live with the severe pain episodes that I have been having.

So... in an effort to balance risks and benefits... the plan is to wait for the next severe pain episode (and, of course, I just finished with one!), and when/if the pain gets to the level where I wonder if I should go to the ER (if two vicodin don't make me comfortable) I will call their office (or the medical society if after hours) to get in touch with him when we get to the ER. The ER folks will probably want to do a CT scan (that will almost certainly show nothing once again), but he will contact them and he will just go in and do surgery on an emergency basis no matter what the scan shows.  He said that he will talk with two of his three colleagues (all but the junior surgeon in the group) to let them know what is going on so that if he is unavailable for some reason, they will know what the plan is and whoever is on call can do the surgery (rather than have the ER just give me a shot of morphine and send me home). 

That sounds reasonable to me.  I know that this pain will eventually recur, and I agree that it sounds like the best chance of finding the problem is to do the surgery while I am having the severe pain.  (I also like the fact that he said he is willing to come in and do the surgery (even if he is not the surgeon on call that day) unless he is completely unavailable, out of town, etc.)  Mostly I like the fact he did not tell me I just have to live with it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DisneyLover
on 6/29/11 8:18 am - WI
Lora,

I am sorry you are having all of this pain with no answer.  It does however sound like you have an awesome surgeon on your side which is great.  

Question - the lipomas you had removed were they big or small.  I am filled with them.  I have 2 huge ones that I would like done, but they are in areas that I might have plastics done so I am going to wait.

Good luck.

Sarah

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/11 8:41 am - OH
One of them was "just" golf-ball sized (on the base of the back of my neck) but the two that I had on my hips (one on each hip) were VERY large... over 7.5 inches long and several inches deep and wide).  The surgeon said they were ":rump roast" size, LOL.)  The one I ahve on my thigh is about the size of a large marble, but is not causing any discomfort, so I will just leacve it (unless it suddenly starts to grow!)

Lora

_Donna_
on 6/29/11 8:50 am
I can't remember if I asked you this already but do you or might you have endometriosis? You still have one ovary left, correct?
It's really quite painful.
I hope you get some relief soon.

RNY 5-5-2011

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/11 8:54 am - OH
Yes, I still have one ovary, but this pain is above the waist just off to one side of the midline under my ribs... and there is no rhyme or reason to when the pain comes and goes... intermittent but not cyclical.

Lora

shellbell75
on 6/29/11 9:01 am
Well, I'm glad that you finally have a plan and he didn't just say you have to just live with it. (((hugs)))
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

bunnicash
on 6/29/11 9:01 am - Sedalia, MO
You are really lucky to be able to talk to him and him actually listen to you... alot of doctors/surgeons just push surgery.. He seems like a smart man who is actually concerned with your well being. Which is nice. Kinda stinks you still have to live with the pain for a while... but hopefully in the mean time he figures out what is actually going on. Hope you get answers and better soon.
Blondebetch
on 6/29/11 9:21 am
Wow well at least you are getting a little closer to an answer. An ultrasound cant find anything? Im kinda surprised that wasnt recomended?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/29/11 9:30 am - OH
We have done three CT scans, an ultrasound, an EGD, and two upper GIs (the last one with a small bowel follow through).  All of them came back completely normal (one CT showed a lot of stool in the bowel, but that was it).  We have tried drugs like Bentyl to control potential spasms in the bowel, extra fiber, steroid injections into the muscle layer in the area of the pain, and not eating anything solid for 2 days, all to no avail...

Lora

Carebearny1999
on 6/29/11 10:50 am - Rochester, NY
I'm glad he listened and you have a plan!