Newly Post-Op - Insomnia and Restlessness

lindscounty
on 7/3/11 1:48 am - NE
Help!  I had surgery on Monday, things are going fine except for sleeping.  I cannot sleep without taking my pain medicine.  I don't need it during the day, but if I just try to sleep on my own I toss and turn and can't fall asleep...any ideas on what could help me?  I am hoping to try liquid tylenol tonight.  My family thinks its ok I am still taking the pain meds at night, but my RX is almost out and I don't want to have to "ask" for more, kwim?  Please help!
Follow My Journeyhttp://youtube.com/fatmilitarywife

Stephanie M.
on 7/3/11 2:09 am - Los Angeles, CA
 Well sometimes when your body has less calories to burn, you don't need as much sleep as you used to. When our bodies have to try to process so many sugars and things, we sleep more. I would say also, that you might have to detox from the pain meds, making it hard to sleep for a while (I understand, I am still on my pain meds as well). Anyway, that's all I really know, sorry I can't be much more help! Lol
Steph

Dave Chambers
on 7/3/11 4:11 am - Mira Loma, CA
This is a somewhat common issue with many post ops.  I used to sleep well prior to RNY, but I was on script sleeping pills for several years.  But, as a post op, even on the same sleeping pills, I do not sleep nearly as well.  I've found that it varies, but have noted that either Melatonin or Tryptophan seem to help me get a better night's rest.  Try turning off the TV, and taking the OTC items I noted just before your lay down to go to sleep.  Turn off your cell phone or house phone, beepers, etc.--anything not necessary while you try to sleep. I find that if I sleep without interruption, I sleep better. But once I'm awake due to a phone call, someone coming into the room to ask question, the dog jumping on me, etc.--it's very difficult to get back to sleep again.  I usually go to sleep around 11-11:30 PM and sometimes am up at 4 AM, unable to get back to sleep.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Rebecca H.
on 7/3/11 4:16 am
I think sometime the meds help you to relax but not necessarily sleep. I had trouble sleeping at night too. I think the evening vitamins can keep you awake. I try to take my evening vitamin no later than 6pm. When I use to eat a lot, I would go to sleep fat, full and happy. Now that my eating habits have changed, i have more energy, and I sleep less. Now that I'm off the pain meds, taking vitamins early, and exercising more, I sleep very well at night. Hope you start sleeping good again soon
Kim H.
on 7/3/11 7:49 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Another thought is that many people will initially fall asleep with pain meds but then have fairly restless sleep as a side effect. I see this in and out of the hospital with patients having this experience post-op. I would only take your medicaine for pain, not sleep. Try to get some exercise every day and just literally tire yourself out. Also, in case you nap, make sure you stop. Hopefully this will change and as your activity increases and you eventually get off the pain meds. Good luck and I hope you have sweet dreams soon!
Rachael Richardson
on 7/3/11 9:38 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
I had surgery June 20th and have the exact same problem! I lay wide awake tossing and turning and can not sleep. I take a shower, read and feel relaxed and comfortable in my bed so I can not figure out why I can not sleep.  I usuall finaly dose off at 3 or4 am.

I used to fall asleep easily, however, I also went to bed fat and full.  I hate to use sleep meds because I do not want to get addicted.  Although, if my sleep does not improve I will have no choice and will resort to ambien because I eventually have to go back to work.  Thanks for sharing..makes feel I am not alone!

Donna

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views