How do you know if you dum*****t?

Bralen
on 7/5/11 2:02 am

I've seen a few cases where people thought they were having something sugar free and it wasn't so they found out that they dump but how do most people know?

Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/5/11 2:15 am - Windsor, Canada
They test the waters and see if they get sick. My advice ---don't do it. Sugar is the beast and once you know you don't dump it is very easy to make stupid choices. Eat as if you are a dumper and don't open Pandora's Box as long as you can. Sugar is the enemy!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mary B.
on 7/5/11 2:39 am - Southern, MD
You'll figure it out pretty quickly.

My first dumping episode was from sugar free chocolate pudding. The first time, I didnt really realize what it was. Then I got sick the next day after eating it. I didnt think I could dump from that, but I did. That was about 3 weeks out maybe. Pudding makes me sick to think about now

Ive dumped from a variety of foods. You'll figure it out and you wont want those foods again.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/11 3:30 am - OH
Getting sick the following day is not dumping.  Also, the reaction to sugar alcohols is different than the dumping syndrome from real sugar. 

(FWIW, I was unable to eat SF chocolate pudding early out -- it made me nauseous and gave me intestinal distress -- but the SF vanilla pudding from the same company was fine...)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mary B.
on 7/5/11 3:44 am - Southern, MD
I meant that I ate it, felt sick, then tried it again the next day and had the same reaction.
Thats how I figured it was from the pudding.

Interesting that you could have the vanilla and not the chocolate. My pudding was Huntz I think...not refrigerated kind.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/11 4:03 am - OH
Oh, ok... that makes more sense!

Yes, I thought it was weird about the pudding, too.  The only thing I can figure is that the sugar alcohol mixture was different between the two (because the total sugar figure was the same).  Now, neither one bothers me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sasrah1972
on 7/5/11 2:42 am - NY
Well, I can't say anything about the sugar thing, but I did dump after eating one falafel ball. It was greasier than I expected and I knew I shouldn't eat it. I was fine, but about an hour later I felt very shaky and a little queasy and had significant diahrrea. It's not something I would soon repeat. So I go with Dawn above and say that you should stay away from potential foods tht will cause you to dump. It isn't like you want to get sick...pretend you can't have it because it WILL make you sick and you'll stay away from it. I promised my son I'd have a taste of his birthday cake when he is 8...I have a year and a half!
Ladytazz
on 7/5/11 3:06 am
 I found out by accident, too.  I bought some sugar free syrup that wasn't sugar free.
I also dumped when I made a protein dessert with Greek yogurt and cottage cheese for some reason.  It had 23 carbs in it and apparently that is too much for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 3:06 am - Boston, MA
 Personally I've tested the waters.. I'd rather find out at home than when I'm out somewhere and it could ruin an event/day ect.  some people dump on very little sugar.. wouldn't that suck to be out somewhere and eat something low sugar you think is safe and you get sick? I like to know my limits and knowing has NOT made me indulge just because I know I can! =)
poet_kelly
on 7/5/11 3:23 am - OH
People know when they eat something with sugar and see what happens.  Personally, I would try to avoid even finding out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views