Is a medicine cup 1 oz or 2, can i eat as many sf stuff as i want

Tammy R.
on 7/5/11 6:07 am - Covina, CA
I start pureed today. Is one of those little medicine cups 1oz or 2oz. I am only supposed to eat 2oz -3 times a day right? Then liqiuds and protein shakes?
When do the sugar free popcicles and jello come in? Can I eat as many of those as I like?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

msanson
on 7/5/11 6:22 am - CA
the ones I got from the hospital were 1 oz. I was able to eat sf jello,sf pudding before pureed stage. Every dr 's plan is different. I had my surgey through kaiser and they have a strict plan. Your dr should have given you post op plans or insstructions. If not call ur dr office right away..
gochristy1971
on 7/5/11 7:12 am - CA
I agree, your surgeon or nutritionist or dietician should have given you a plan to follow, but it would not surprise me if they didn't as I see it all the time here.  I have a booklet that I followed and still do, that outlines what I can have, how much, etc.

However, I would still not advise anyone to "eat as much as you like" of anything, as this is something we never have been able to do with any control prior to having surgery anyway.  What I would say is, practice moderation even now, this early out.

I read in someone's signature line something like this "with wls the goal is not to see how MUCH we can eat, but how LITTLE we can eat"....that and still get in our protein needs.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Cleopatra_Nik
on 7/5/11 7:17 am - Baltimore, MD
Tammy,

2 oz = quarter cup
3 oz = about 1/3 cup

That might help rather than trying to go by medicine cups that vary in sizes.

Sugar-free popsicles are a great way to keep your fluids up. Not necessarily a great way to get protein in so I'd say keep an eye on how many you are eating to make sure you get in your protein as well. Also, check the nutritional label to make sure there aren't a bunch of sugar alchohols in your popsicles. They can be painful for your system to process.

Jell-O is the same deal. No protein there. Protein needs to be the priority. I know Bariatric Advantage or someone sells protein jell-o. I've never tried it but I think it's called Gelatein. You might wanna check that out.

I doubt you can eat as much of anything as you WANT to at this point but still I am concerned with that part of your question.

I don't necessarily agree with Christy about eating as little as we can (that thought landed me in a "bariatric anorexia" intervention in month three when I was only eating 400 calories a day) but I do agree that focusing on eating as much as you can is a bit dangerous.

Eat as much as you need to eat to make your daily caloric, protein goals. If you find yourself still hungry after that, consult your nutritional peeps.
Tammy R.
on 7/6/11 6:02 am - Covina, CA
I feel like eating all the time, all I think about is food. Im so scared about failing since I failed with the lap band. At least with the lap band I felt restriction. I dont feel any restriction now. I know I was only on liquids but now that I can eat, I wanna eat. Its really hard to wrap my head around 2oz meals when I feel like I could eat more. Is my pouch too big?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/11 7:29 am - OH
Ditto to what Nik said: 

"I doubt you can eat as much of anything as you WANT to at this point but still I am concerned with that part of your question.

I don't necessarily agree with Christy about eating as little as we can (that thought landed me in a "bariatric anorexia" intervention in month three when I was only eating 400 calories a day) but I do agree that focusing on eating as much as you can is a bit dangerous.

Eat as much as you need to eat to make your daily caloric, protein goals. If you find yourself still hungry after that, consult your nutritional peeps.

While eating as many SF popsicles and jello at this point is not going to be harmful sicne therea re next to no calories involved, the mindset of your eating needs to change:  it should NOT be "as much as I want", NOR should it be "as little as I can"... it should be "what I need ".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views