do you change your eating based on exercise?

Carrie W.
on 7/5/11 4:28 am - KY
For those of you who work out, do you change how you eat on days you work out vs days you don't?  Do you up protein and calories when you do workout?  If so then do you back down on rest days? 

I was feeling like hammered crap so I upped my calories a bit and feel much, much better.  I'm getting in some more complex carbs (flax muffins and fruit and veggies) and added about 100 calories.  

I just wonder if I should back back down under 600 calories on days I don't work out.  I haven't been to the gym since Friday due to TOM and it being closed for the holiday.  For those days I didn't get much more than 400 cal/day.  Alot of that was due to feeling like crap thanks to TOM and the meds for TOM.  

Thanks!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Cherylkas
on 7/5/11 4:41 am - PA
 I am not a hard core work outer..lol but I do up my protein on days I work and then eat normal on the other days. I also up my fluid intake.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 4:51 am - Boston, MA
 I'm 2 weeks further out than you, on non work out days I eat 800 calories.. when I was eating 5-600 I was not losing weight.  When I work out I just have an extra protein shake afterwards so 200 more calories
Paul C.
on 7/5/11 4:59 am - Cumming, GA
It really depends on your workout. If you are going all out for an hour our more then I eat more carbs, a heavy cardio days I will do more carbs and protein will be post workout, which is ready to do since I hit the gym at 5am.

On days I don't workout I do minimal carbs, unless it is recovery day from a big or fast race. Race days I trend to eat more because of the adrenaline. As long as my numbers balance out I am cool, but then again I probably don't eat enough anyways.

Best thing is to talk with your NUT they will be able to instruct you barf on your specific cir****tances.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kim S.
on 7/5/11 5:11 am - Helena, AL
I pretty much eat 1,500-1,800 calories a day, every day.  I work out 6x a week.  On cardio days I'm normally not any more hungry than normal.....after intense weight workouts I'm more hungry, craving protein.  I'll literally eat a grilled chicken breast as a "snack" and it is as good as a Snicker's bar to me!!  (now, don't get me wrong, I still adore Snicker's, but on those days I really do CRAVE protein....) 

I really just eat when I'm hungry....which is often during the day because I've become accustomed to eating several small meals a day. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 6:25 am - TX
I am out about a month more than you; and I eat probably 900-1100 calories on big workout days. 600-700 suffice on other days. I have to say my calories vary based on my stomach and how it feels that day, though. I don't automatically up my calories just because I am working out, only if I feel like I need it.

If you are getting a nice bump and feeling better from 100 calories worth of good stuff, I'd say its more than worth it.
Lisa R.
on 7/5/11 7:21 am - CA
On days I work out, 5x's a week for an hour, i eat an extra protein bar after or right before my work out.  I HATE protein shakes but I found this one protein bar that I love, so it is like my treat for working out.

I find that if I don't get in at least 1000 calories on workout days I don't lose weight.   I LOVE that!  That means my body is working correctly and when I finally do hit goal my metabolism will be rocket soaring and it will help to maintain the weight loss. 

I walked 5 miles in a little over an hour on 4th of July!  I could do that before surgery, but since I had not been able to do that much so I was pretty happy.  I really love working out now, I can totally see the difference in my weight loss and how I look. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Carrie W.
on 7/5/11 7:38 am - KY
GAH!!  I was so proud of myself for doing 3 miles in under an hour today.  *sigh*  One of these days ..... 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

candie33
on 7/5/11 8:03 am
I think my problem is I am working out very hard and not taking in enough calories.  So I have decided that I am going to cut back oy workouts and see what happens. This is ery frustrating for me.  I can see that I have lost several inches but the scale is not moving 

Koko M.
on 7/5/11 9:23 am - Albany, CA
I have definitely noticed a jump in my appetite on my workout days. (M-W-F)

On non-workout days, I eat the right amounts at the right time, and have to make sure I don't let it go too long. On the days I work out, I find myself looking at the clock to see if it's time to eat yet, wanting more, and almost always on those days I come in on the higher end of my acceptable caloric range, around 1150 to 1200. 
Non-work-out days look more like 850 to 1100.

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

Most Active
Recent Topics