BMs

astrochick18
on 7/7/11 3:26 am - Archer, FL
I am wondering how often is considered normal now, to have a BM. I would think it would be less frequently since we are eating a lot less, and I am still on liquids only.

How do you know when you are constipated and need to take something for it?

Bonnie C.
on 7/7/11 3:44 am - Miami, FL
Since you are on liquids I was told that every 2 to 3 days was normal. I took Miralax when I felt I wasn't going like I should (and I still do). You can also take Milk of Magnesia if you can tolerate the taste. Just remember that you cannot take any stimulant laxatives after surgery.
Check out my blog for recipes and more
@
Bye Bye Pounds
HW-310/SW-292/CW-182/GW-160

astrochick18
on 7/7/11 4:04 am - Archer, FL
So, is Miralax okay to take? I have never taken any type of laxative, so I am unsure which ones are stimulant. Can you tell me the ones to stay away from?

Dave Chambers
on 7/7/11 4:19 am - Mira Loma, CA
I initially had no issues. In fact I had diarrhea. I even went to my bariatric doc and got a liquid to help.  Then things resolved. Less BM's, often consitipation. Then I had a bad cut and was given Cipro to fight infection.  2 days later, I had a week of the worst diarrhea ever. I even resorted to taking some Lomotil to help stop it. It's marked in my medical records NOT to give me Cipro due to this adverse reactionb.  My surgeon spoke on the topic of constipation and he basically said "each patient needs to figure out their own recipe" in the prevention of diarrhea.  Many of us take stool softeners daily, or several daily.  Some eat a few prunes or drink warm prune juice.  Some take Mirilax of Milk of Magnexia daily.  Drinking 64 oz of water does help too.  My surgeons nurse said if you feel a hard mass in your lower left abdomen, it's likely buildup stool due to constipation.  Some take glycerine suppositories or use magnesium citrate clean out drink once in a while.  Each patient is different. BUT, you cannot live only on liquids, you have to consume foods so your digestive track begins working again.  If you haven't had a BM for 3 days or so, you need to take something to help it. Typically I rarely have one day without a BM, but not everyone is exactly the same.  Get to some support groups, as this is a common topic there too. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

shellbell75
on 7/7/11 6:06 am
I am 13 days out and just call my surgeon on this yesterday. Mind you every surgeon is different. But, his nurse said not to go longer than every 3 days.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

gochristy1971
on 7/7/11 7:24 am - CA
Unless I am constipated, I go nearly every day.  It's just less per time.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
_Karen
on 7/7/11 7:28 am - Clearwater, FL
Normal for me has always been 3 to 5 days.  I keep track and if I don't go for a week I take something for it.  One thing about being lactose intolerent is milk gives me the runs, so I just drink a bit of some dairy. 

Paul C.
on 7/7/11 7:41 am - Cumming, GA
immediately post-op it was 4-5 days before the party started moving and then it followed the motto of "Liquid in Liquid out".  When I went to pureed and solids it became about every 2-3 days and I give birth. 

I'm fine with this and so are my docs.  It helps me with running because rarely do I get the urge before a run or race like some people do.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
astrochick18
on 7/7/11 7:51 am - Archer, FL
I am only two weeks out, that is why I am still on liquids only. I see my surgeon on Monday.

Anyways, I took some Miralax and have started to feel my bowels moving. Hopefully they will clear out soon. I have a feeling that I am going to be one of those that will have to take Miralax daily to stay regular. Never had any constipation problems before surgery, but I guess its just part of the package.

womanbtrfly
on 7/7/11 11:12 am
Hi,
I had my surgery in 2002 and had severe problems with constipation. I found that using Benefiber daily in my liquids is essential for me. I start my day by sipping on 2 cups of decaf coffee or herbal tea with 4 T of Benefiber in each one. This works for me. I experimented with small doses in the beginning to find out what my body needed. It comes in small packages for traveling or taking with you during the day. I tried putting it in cooked food but it doesn't dissolve well. I hope this helps you because I didn't know what to do and my doctors, even my surgeon weren't able to help me with this issue. Blockages can be dangerous for us .
Most Active
Recent Topics