Deciding goal body fat percentage? - Two weeks post op update

Ithocles
on 7/14/11 3:54 am
I had my first post-surgery appointment with my surgeon yesterday and they put me on this scale with metal plates and it printed out this long list of stuff for me to obsess over now.    I've been so targeted on weight that I never really thought about body fat.  The printout says the goal is anywhere from 8% - 20%, so I put 15% in my OH health tracker.  Anyone else track this?  How do you decide what your goal is?

And by the way, my weight was 274, which is 51 pounds down!  I feel like it's melting off me.  And I don't feel like it's too good to be true...not even for a second.  I'm enjoying every second of it, and couldn't be in this good of a place without the help of you all here.

Hugs to you all...

Danny

steve D.
on 7/14/11 4:23 am - West Fargo, ND
Welcome Danny.  I track Body Fat Percentage too.  BMI is not a very accurate indicator and BF % tells me not only if I am losing, but if I am losing fat, not muscle.  I set my goal at 18%.  Got down to 17.4 and currently am at about 20.

Good Luck
Steve

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/11 4:38 am

There is good body fat % for men and for woman.  Men are much lower than women.
For men below 20% is OK, even good. YOur goal, iMO shall be 10-15%, since most likley due to baunce back - you may regain and be 18-19%.   
Mine (woman) dropped one time to 16-18 and taht was way toolow for me... and my age.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/11 4:43 am - OH
8%?!?!?!?!?!?  Uh... probably not realistic for 99% of the population. 

According  to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (and the chart my hospital uses), these are the body fat %s for optimum health (the one my doctor uses is just slightly different):

Age Range

Healthy Body Fat % women

Healthy Body Fat % men

20-39

21-32%

8-19%

40-59

23-33%

11-21%

60-79

24-35%

13-24%

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

princess_raspberry
on 7/14/11 6:17 am
8% is very low.  My DH is a triathlete.  He trains HARD about 3-4 hours per day 6 days a week and I can't see an ounce of fat on his body and his body fat percentage is 12%.

I think tracking it is great, just like Steve said, to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle.
HW 394 | SW 330 | CW 270 | GW 150
preop [64]  month 1 [32]  month 2 [10]  month 3 [18]