Something's Wrong With My Pee!

Amy_Lou
on 7/27/11 5:49 pm, edited 7/27/11 5:50 pm - FL
I take the New Life Bariatric Multi Vitamins; they were provided by my surgeon. They're basically a clear-ish capsule with yellow powder on the inside. I have to take two daily and they aren't hard to swallow.

Which brings me to this... My burps taste awful; like the inside of the capsule. Every morning the taste in my mouth is borderline intolerable. Lastly, my urine is SO dark (which I figure is normal) but it smells strong. I started to wonder if this was common... More importantly would it last forever?

Is there another potent Bariatric Multi Vitamin that I could take that doesn't cause these annoyances? ...Maybe one that doesn't taste like hell afterwards? I mean, forever is a loooong time to have to take these stinky guys.

Geez Louise!

';*;'*Amy Lou*;',*; 
   ;*, ;',*             ;*, ;',*;    

Calliou
on 7/27/11 8:18 pm
RNY on 03/27/12
Are you drinking the water you are supposed to? Urine should be light yellow to clear. The color and odor you are describing says "dehydration" to me.
Couldn't tell you about the vitamins... sorry...
Amy_Lou
on 7/27/11 8:57 pm, edited 7/27/11 9:48 pm - FL
I'm drinking 4-5 8oz bottles of water a day... It's my required amount. I feel fine.
I'm just mortified when someone else uses my bathroom after me; the strong pee smell lingers.

*pouts*

Thanks anyway.

';*;'*Amy Lou*;',*; 

Price S.
on 7/27/11 9:28 pm - Mills River, NC
that is no where near 64 oz so you need more water.  Your protein shakes count but 64oz is a minimum.  In this heat, I get closer to 100oz.  That is why your pee is so strong.

There is probably vit c in your vits and that will turn your pee darker yellow. 

I use CVS generic Centrum silver chewables.  They meet all the requirements and don't taste bad or have an after taste.  2x day.  A lot cheaper too since they frequently have BOGO sales on them.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Amy_Lou
on 7/27/11 9:47 pm - FL
My NUT wants me to get in 45 ounces of water daily. I was following her directions. Should I be worried? I'm gonna have to talk to her and my surgeon about this. I don't want to be under the safe amount. Yikes. I'll investigate and figure it out. Thanks for your concern.
Does Centrum Silver really have ALL the required stuff in it? There was talk at some point that it didn't cover the amounts or types of vitamins/minerals needed. Did you check with your surgeon and are you absolutely sure? ...Because if you are I would LOVE to take Centrum Silver instead! Lord knows they are cheap out here at the corner pharmacy! That would be most excellent!
Thank you very much for the concern, the support, and the tip! God bless you. :)

';*;'*Amy Lou*;',*; 

Price S.
on 7/27/11 10:47 pm - Mills River, NC
My surgeon gave us a number of options and those were one of them.  You still have to have B12 because we can't do anything but the sublingual and additional calcuim CITRATE, not carbonate because you can't absorb enough at one time.  You may need extra iron.  I am not familiar with what you are taking but I bet they really don't include everything you need either.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 11:31 pm - OH
There are LOTS of us who take Centrum OR Centrum Silver (2 per day) as recommended by our surgeons.  They are just fine!  Compare  for yourself... look at the actual ingredients in 2 of the Centrum compared to what the ASMBS says we need (and versus what you are taking) and yiyu will see that the Centrum is fine.  NO need to buy expensive "bariatric" vitamins.    (Of course, your doctor's office might not be happy about no longer making a profit off of selling them to you...)

Loras

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/11 9:53 pm - OH
64 ounces of water is the standard recommended minimum and we always need even more in hot weather, so it is probably at least partly due to not enough fluids.  (Some people DO require less water than others, and some people eat foods with higher moisture content than others and therefore get mroe water from their foods-- I have never gotten much more than 60 ounces of fluids and only very occasionally have trouble with my urine getting a little bit darker (but when it does, I know that I need more water) -- but you definitely need to be closer to that 64.)

There are lots of meds and vitamins that can darken your urine (excess Vit C) and change it's smell (heparin gives urine a distinctive smell).  Since these vitamins were provided by your surgeon, I would call the office and ask THEM if this is common and to be expected with these vitamins (the taste if you burp probably IS).

Lora 

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DallasBBWmom
on 7/27/11 10:29 pm - TX
For me I get those nasty burps when my pouch is empty. It's kind of an acid taste. I have it until I eat something then it goes away.

I call it my hunger meter. :)
Paul C.
on 7/27/11 10:48 pm - Cumming, GA
Dark stinky pee is a sure sign of dehydration.  The fluid rec you are given is the bare minimum you MAY NEED.  You may actually need more.  I Typically am 100oz outside of exercise, with exercise I can easily pass 200oz.  Your urine should be light yellow to clearish in color.  How often and how much you pee is another sign of dehydration.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Recent Topics