Day 4- Still starving!

Shanneee
on 7/31/11 2:32 pm - MN
Seriously...i'm starving.  Like I could gnaw my arm off starving.  Most people I have talked to say they didn't even have a desire to eat or drink anything after surgery and I really want a big mac.  What the heck is going on?  Everyone thinks it's psychological, but even prior to the surgery I never had strong feelings of hunger like this!  HELP!
Tenaciousc1974
on 7/31/11 3:07 pm - CA
Wanting a Big Mac does sound like " head hunger". Could it be that you are having stress over your decision to have the surgery, and food feels like a good way to deal with it? I ask because on about day 12 I started going nuts thinking about all the things I couldn't eat. I was freaking out about what a huge mistake I made changing my body forever. It was awful. Now that I am back on some solid foods, it is starting to feel better. I still think about food a lot, though. I have heard this gets better with time. Hang in there!
Chris

start/pre-op/current/goal weights:  286/240/138/130

jenysez1
on 7/31/11 7:00 pm - LA
Oh I feel for you.  I am having to do a 2 week pre op liquid diet and I am starving.  I keep trying to tell myself that after surgery I will not be hungry.....there goes that idea...lol

Jenny

sissymm32
on 7/31/11 7:10 pm - Phil Campbell, AL

It gets better with time there are times that I have to make myself eat because I need to not because I feel hungry. There are things that I loved to eat before that I cant stand now. I didn't feel hungry after I had my surgery but I was so thirsty I felt like I could drink a whole gallon of water. I don't have any trouble getting in my liquids but I don't feel hungry very often. I know some people feel really hungry because you still have a big piece of you stomach that is there and not able to get any food in it. There is no way to satisfy that part and some people still feel the hunger from that part. I wish you well maybe the hunger you feel will stop soon try to keep your mind on something other than food. It helps to have a hobby to do so that you are not thinking about what you have giving up.

HW 286    SW 266     CW 180

_Karen
on 7/31/11 7:29 pm - Clearwater, FL
I felt the same way for about a month after surgery.  I was so upset that I was starving after having the surgery that was suppose to help me not feel that way any longer.  I did up my protein, not shakes but meat and it helped a lot.  (small bites, chewed well) 

Hope you feel better soon.

Kim H.
on 8/1/11 12:26 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I was just like that starting at about a week out. What I did was up my protein shakes and spread them evenly throughout the day so I could help decrease my intense feelings of needing to eat. I think it's a combo of both body and head hunger for me. Really, it was my mouth that wanted to eat, not my stomach. I missed the taste of things, all the flavor. When I pay attention, I can differentiate between my mouth and my body. My pouch can only handle a few Tbs and then it's over. But my mouth wants to hit every favorite restaurant and drive through almost daily. I have had to really spend some time paying attention to all of this since if I don't, I'll be one of the people who keeps eating or loses then gains all the weight back. I haven't found this easy and like you, I still have a strong sense of "hunger" wherever it comes from. I guess in the end, that's why they call this a "tool" and not a solution. We have to change our relationship with food, make healthy choices, eat small portions, and be moderate for life. I kept saying I "knew" this wasn't a magical solution but now I realize that I had really hoped it would be...and it's not. I'm still an overeater/food addict but now I have a stomach that can't keep up with my mouth. I'm not trying to be a downer, just being honest. I think this will help us both to succeed at losing and keeping it off but we can't give in to our hunger like we did in the past. I hope this helps...you're not alone in the struggle, I promise! I hope it gets easier...for us both! Take care!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Patti1md
on 8/1/11 5:20 am
I am a neebie.  How do I post my weight chart that I see most of you have?  Thanks
Kim H.
on 8/1/11 6:44 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Go to "my account" at the top of the page then to "health tracker" and you can add one in to show your weight or other numbers you want to share/follow. Hope that helps.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Shanneee
on 8/1/11 4:59 am - MN
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I know this is a "tool" and not a "solution" but I guess I just wasn't expecting to feel so hungry all the time.  Hopefully the feeling will go away soon!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.