nervous about getting B-12 injection

_Donna_
on 8/16/11 1:16 am
I'm getting my first B 12 shot today.... if I get up enough nerve to do it.
I'm anxious about it because I understand it will give me energy, but will it affect my sleep?  I REALLY like my sleep, I'm so grumpy without it.

Those of you that get the injections, can you share with me your experience.
Thanks

RNY 5-5-2011

poet_kelly
on 8/16/11 1:20 am - OH
Oh no, it shouldn't bother your sleep at all.  I take one once a week and sleep as well that day as every other day (which is never that well for me, but that's not due to the B12).  I don't get any burst of energy from it, either.  I have more energy overall when my B12 level is high, but it's not like if I drink something with a big jolt of caffeine where I'm practically bouncing off the walls as soon as I get the shot.

The shots don't hurt, either.  Now, there are two ways to do them, intramuscular or subcutaneous.  To do them IM you need a slightly bigger needed and you might feel it a bit more than if you do it sub-q, but it's not painful at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kimberly W.
on 8/16/11 1:29 am

I have gotten 3 so far and they have all gone well.  It doesn't effect my sleep at all.  I get B-12 injections monthly instead of taking the sub-lingual tabs daily.  I don't notice any increased energy, definitely not enough to disturb my slumber.

_Donna_
on 8/16/11 1:31 am
Ok, thanks you guys.  You've talked me into it.
I'm not worried about the pain at all, I have a high tolerance.

RNY 5-5-2011

Cherylkas
on 8/16/11 1:36 am - PA
 I HAVE to take mine today...I am late on taking it. HUbby gives it to me in the thigh and really it doesnt hurt. But I do feel better after I take it. 

I like my sleep too. I doesn't seem to affect it at all.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

aseg21
on 8/16/11 1:54 am - Miami, FL
It's actually not painful at all and I sleep fine. The needle is tiny, tiny, tiny. I have never noticed any disruption of my sleep habits, but on the flip side have never noticed any increase in energy either. Bummer.. I could use the boost.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

AnneGG
on 8/16/11 6:26 am
Piece of cake! I give it to myself subcutaneously in my stomach, and don't even feel it.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

rbb825
on 8/16/11 4:56 pm - Suffern, NY
I have been giving them to myself for about 15 years and it is no big deal. I started giving them to myself for chronic fatigue syndrome to give myself some extra energy and I give them to myself 3 times per week.  Needless to say I have great levels.

They are no big deal and totally painless.  Make sure you get insulin needles and do them in your stomach.  Pinch a tiny piece of flab and inject. It is painless.  Many will try to tell you that it needs to be done in the muscle with a large but it simply isn't true.  It says right on the bottle of B12 - for IM or SC use.  SC means subcutaneous or below the skin.  I recently spoke to my hematologist and he said he gives them to his patients with insulin needles and my last hematologist said the same thing.  They are the experts and treat B12 deficiency

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics