Bowels, TMI, I know

Nessy2976
on 8/20/11 7:46 pm - MD
 When can I expect my bowels to move?  I feel things rumble and I think if I could go I would feel so much better.  Anyone aby ideas? I had surgery Wednesday and came home Friday.  I feel good except for this 
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
missjann
on 8/20/11 7:51 pm
It's easy to suffer constipation in the first few months. Get some OTC stool
softeners, try prune juice, and drink lots of water.  Bowel habits will normalize
after a few months and after you are eating more food. Right now, you're
not taking in a lot so it can be a while. I'd really get those stool softeners
down and I started drinking 4 oz. of prune juice morning and evening which
did the trick for me. Now I don't need it.  Good luck!
    Jan

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 8/20/11 8:03 pm
If you are on clear liquids you shouldn't expect much.  You aren't eating any solid food.  Stools should be loose and watery your first week.  That being said I had a BM in the hospital.  Doc and nurses told me that the stuff they make you drink for the leak test will make a BM.

Winnie

rbb825
on 8/20/11 8:43 pm - Suffern, NY
I don't know what they gave you for a leak test but they usually just use blue food coloring in a bottle of water and this should have nothing to do with causing a BM.  It is actually very common for us to go home with no BM and many go for 5 days or up to 7 days with no BM.  By 7 days is when they start to require you to get things going with softeners, MOM and if necessary dulcolax.  Once they start, then usually okay.

rbb825
on 8/20/11 8:47 pm - Suffern, NY
It can take 5 to 7 days.  You aren't putting any food in your body, just liquid so nothing to come out. If nothing in 7 days call your surgeon but mine told me in nothing after 7 days to use MOM (milk of magnesia) - up to 2 doses and if that doesn't work by the second day, then to use some dulcolax suppositories.  Also, make sure you are getting in enough fluids.

dasie
on 8/20/11 8:52 pm
It took me around 5 days.  I hate to say I am 20 months post op, and this is the one on going issue for me.  I do - take- a lot of stuff, but the constipation just never ends.  I have actually gone several months w/o taking calcium because I stay so stopped up.  I am taking it again but not as much.  I can't seem to find what will work for me.

cajungirl
on 8/20/11 11:13 pm
Gosh I feel for you.  Early out and until just recently I've dealt with constipation also.  My surgeon recommended Milk of Magnesia early out and it helped.  Many take stool softeners daily to help.

You should note because of the low intake you are doing right now, BMs will be fewer then what you experienced pre-op.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

lucybecominglucy
on 8/21/11 12:26 am
 take milk of magnesia 1 to 2 tablespoons i had my surgery on thursday had to do this i feel bloated but i guess thats the feeling for the first few days and water is the key 
Nessy2976
on 8/21/11 12:34 am - MD
 Thanks all.  I have been getting in all my fluids and I noticed when I drink hot tea things rumble down there, so I am hoping today is the day.  Before surgery I never had a problem. I just am bloated.....and gassy. I find this the worst part of it. I know this will pass...Thanks again 
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
Kathy M.
on 8/21/11 12:47 am - summershade, KY

I'm one day out from you I came home Thursday  and I took a bowel softer and my moved on friday the have been loose and getting up at night with it so good luck and you will feel better

Kathy M

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 486 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 327 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 71 views