vomiting???

tjmgray
on 8/28/11 12:39 pm - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
 I am wondering if vomiting is something that happens with the surgery. I am going to my mental health evaluation and nutritionist meeting this week and that is one thing I am worried about. I was so sick with both on my pregnancies and now I hate the idea of vomiting. Sure wouldn't be bulimic as I try and do everthing not to vomit!!!!  There seems to lots of sharing here so was wondering if that is something I have to look forward too. Thanks
Lisa R.
on 8/28/11 12:54 pm - CA
 Personally, I have never vomited, not even once.  Others have but I don't think it is normal that you throw up all the time.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
heatherambrosia
on 8/28/11 12:58 pm - GA
I only got sick once b/c I ate grits a week too early and ate too many. Actually eating it didn't make me throw up, but it was pretty uncomfortable so I made myself sick. I really don't think you should go in with an expectation to be sick. You should be good!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
tjmgray
on 8/28/11 1:03 pm - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
 thanks so much my Dr. said vomiting usually doesn't happen but I wanted to hear from people who have been through it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 1:57 pm, edited 8/28/11 1:58 am - Santa Cruz, CA

Usually vomiting only occurs when we've gotten food stuck. It really hurts! The best way to deal with it is to get it out of our esophagus, and the only way to do that is to let it come back up. It really isn't like "vomiting", but more of an "urp" like a baby upchucks.

In order to avoid having to "urp" just remember: chewchewchew and don't eat any white bread products when you're early out.

Good luck!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/11 2:15 pm - OH
I have only vomited from food TWICE in four years... so, no, it is not automatic with RNY.  Most people, in fact, don't have problems with a lot of vomiting... but the people who ARE having trouble eating are the ones who post, so it may appear that vomiting is almost a given with this surgery, but it is NOT. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/29/11 1:31 am
I'm almost 10 yrs out and I've puked maybe 3 times when I was early out. It all was my fault, either eating too fast or too much. If you follow the rules it won't be an issue. Remember your stomach will b smaller (if your'e RNY) and throwing up for us is like baby spit up. It's a small amount, usually foam and not a big deal. I ate too fast one night because we were rushing
to get to t movie on time, I puked foam, felt lots better and still made the movie. What ever gets stuck comes up or when we overeat the excess comes out. If you eat to the point of over full and feel a bit like you could puke, you sit it out, sit upright and it passes as the food is digested. If we
puke early out we're to wait 24 hours until we have solid food again to let the pouch and newly
constructed digestive tract rest. I know many post ops who have never thrown up. It's a matter of
eating correctly, SLOWLY and not eating to over full. When we get that first feeling that we may be full - put the fork down. good luck - I never wanted to throw up pre op either - did everything so I wouldn't so I know how you feel. This isn't the same throwing up and it's not a biggie if you do. I actually ate lunch one day, went to a store, got that feeling cause I had over eaten, spit up in a paper napkin and continued shopping. Also there's no stomach acid when we puke so it's just a bit of foam. HOpe this helps.
Jen 9+ yrs post op
tjmgray
on 8/29/11 2:02 pm - CA
RNY on 03/20/12
 thanks for all the advise it reallyhelps
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 60 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?