Sense of smell

Kelly S.
on 9/5/11 10:33 am - MA
I've seen many posts and warnings regarding a change in taste between pre- and post-surgery.  Anyone notice a change in your sense of smell? More particularly, that some things (completely innocuous things) are OFFENSIVE now?  

I've certainly noticed it! I made an Uncle Ben's rice for my husband and had to leave the room while he ate it.  It made me retch.  Also, certain wines smell/taste awful.  Aside from that, I've also noticed that my nose is just really sensitive.  I'm having flashbacks to when I was pregnant!!

Kimanne01
on 9/5/11 10:39 am
My sense of smell changed DRAMATICALLY after the surgery.  Almost every smell made me sick.  It has gotten better in the last 4 months but its still a lot more sensitive than it every was. I still cant stand the smell of anything fried and most perfumes.  However, I usually dont have to leave the room anymore :)
Hillery82211
on 9/5/11 10:48 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
YES!!!!  I feel like I'm a blood hound.  I spent the first day at home playing the "what the heck is that smell" game with my BF (turns out it was his shoes...yuck).  While I don't have to leave the room because of smells, i definately notice them when most people don't.  My doc said it was a side effect of being in Ketotisis and that it should level out and get better as time goes on.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
T. Deeds
on 9/5/11 10:52 am
Yes!  Mine is very sensitive now that I've had the surgery, basically I feel like a bloodhound!  Body odor smells are particularly offensive to me now and induce my gag reflex (they were offensive before the surgery, but I didn't gag from them before the surgery).  Also, sometimes garlic, onion, and seafood smells really bother me now.

Kelly S.
on 9/5/11 10:57 am - MA
 Ah, yes, the "what is that smell" game!!  Iknow it well.  There was one I night I hunted high and low for what I was certain was a long-forgotten sippy cup of milk.  My living room was just rank.  Turned out to be the wine I had poured.  Ewwww!

lilbear412
on 9/5/11 11:04 am - MN
 YES definately.  Since i quit smoking 9 years ago my smell has been just getting better and better.  I have this surgery and i come home and the bottom of the stairs by my basement i can smell something.  We just moved into a new (old) house anyways and think older houses have a smell.  Well it smells like all the food smells from my kitchen are coming downstairs and it makes me sick to my stomach.  lol  Its not so bad anymore but i could also smell things on my daughter and husbands breath too.  Its getting better every day.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

weein
on 9/5/11 12:09 pm - CA
It does get better. I remember first going back to work and being able to smell the food  trays clear across the unit(I'm a nurse and work in the ICU). Hospital smells are bad in general, but the first few months post op, it was all I could do not to gag all day at work. I'm still sensitive to smells but for the most part I don't gag anymore.

Eileen

shellbell75
on 9/5/11 12:14 pm
Oh yes! I also feel like a bloodhound. The what's that smell game? I play that everyday. I have now banned dh's gym bag, clothes and sneakers from the house into the garage. I feel like I have a pregnant nose X's 10. A dirty diaper. Wowzers! I feel like I can smell it if my twins are even thinking about going poop!

So yes. After surgery I must say several times a day "what's that smell?"
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Bill B.
on 9/5/11 10:41 pm - NJ
I lost my sense of smell completely about a dozen years ago and since the surgery it has returned. Now the only issue is I have no idea what it is I am smelling. LOL

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views