exercise with RNY

ccrooker99
on 9/16/11 12:27 pm - Altamont, IL
Hey everyone! I had my surgery Aug 2 and my total loss so far is 36 pounds.  I can tell in my jeans and face some loss but wondering what people are doing for exercise?  I am having a problem with my legs giving out on me when I am on them for too long.  People ask all the time how much weight you loose..I guess they figure you should lose 100 in a month.  Was thinking of joining a gym  but don't want to pay if not gonna use it...I have a recumbant bike at home and my sister across street has treadmill so what should I do to boost loss and make it noticibly to people.
~~Carla~~            
Eliza55
on 9/16/11 12:33 pm - PA
I had surgery Aug 11, and started doing a lot of walking 3 months before surgery, and worked up to 3-4 miles a day.  So I've lost a lot of inches - it looks like I've lost much more weight than I have.  At my last appointment, my doc told me to do more strenuous excercise, so I've been working on an elliptical machine, and I'm looking for a gym for lifting weights, and a pool to start swimming.  I think a treadmill would be great.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

SweetLilyAnn
on 9/16/11 12:43 pm - TX
I am swimming laps for cardio and toning and then I walk my three dogs.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/11 1:06 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Walking for an hour (3 mph) every other day is good.  If you've not done a lot of walking, work up
to it in 10-minute increments.

Do weights training three days a week, alternating with your walks.  This helps to get your whole
body involved.

If you don't want to pay for a gym, get some hand weights, a blowup exercise ball, and an elastic
band, then do crunches, etc., and work out that way. 

Best wishes,

DallasBBWmom
on 9/16/11 1:09 pm - TX
Eliza, how long do you stay on the elliptical?

Eliza55
on 9/16/11 2:40 pm - PA
I worked up slowly to 50 min 3x per week on the elliptical.  My knees can't take any more than that yet. My goal would be 60 min, 4 x per week.  Right now,  I walk at least 2x per week to keep 5x per week for exercise.

But, this week was crazy at work, so I only got in 4x exercise.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

seattledeb
on 9/16/11 7:31 pm
FInd some kind of movement that you LIKE. I got a crazy little dog when I was early post op that I knew would need to be walked frequently. She keeps me moving. When I lost 100 pounds I got a bike. I started at 378 so it took down till 270 to feel well enough to attempt it.
If you don't think you will use a gym don't join one.
Find your passion.
Deb T>

Nee000
on 9/16/11 10:13 pm - MI

I joined the gym because I have discipline / motivation issues and know that if I won't exercise on my own. Like you, I have knee issues, so the phisiologist there set up an exercise plan for me that doesn't aggravate my knee and actually helps to strengthen it.  They actually have a bike that operates like an elliptical machine only you're sitting down.  I go to the gym straight from work 4-5 times per week.  I started working with a personal trainer this week to help me with fat burn as I've been on a plateau struggling with the same 5 lbs for 2 mos.  It seems to be working so far.

Mary Catherine
on 9/16/11 10:14 pm
 Exercise only lasts if it is something that you think is fun and you can't wait to do it.  I love water aerobics and country line dancing.  Good workouts and a good time.
mrslatch
on 9/16/11 10:33 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
I'd start with walking, just to build up some endurance and get some strength back in your legs.

I now to crossfit and run. I love spinning classes. Just about anything! It really can be fun, but you have to actually try it before you know what you like.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics