CHIA SEEDS....

Jacobsmama08
on 9/17/11 2:15 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Hi fellow RNYers...

Wanted to share a little wisdom that I recently acquired...  my from good friend and vitamin guru. CHIA Seeds... I know I know, I had that little song in my head too "Ch Ch Ch chia"... But seriously!
I have been taking fiber, 3 X a day (20+ grams a day) And STILL had issues having regular visits to the toilet for #2. Some times, rarely it would come out okay, more often, it would come after some effort, but not every day, not at the same time of day, and sometimes, I would go days and then hurt myself getting it out. I tried other things, metamucil, stool softeners, no change. So THEN... I was talking to my vitamin guru pal, about something totally unrelated, we were discussing joints and what kind of supplements I should be taking to get my knees and hips feeling better and we came up with a list, Glucosamine, Condroitin, MSM, Colostrum, Asorbic Acid.... etc. And she said while you're at it, you really should try chia seeds... and I had heard she was taking them before but teased her about it. But now, I thought what the heck, can't hurt. Well, I have to say, with all the supplements I just added to my regular required RNY regimen, I about tripled my intake of 'stuff' ... Had to get a little 'by the week' 3 a day pill organizers so I can keep track of what I need to take, did I take it already?, when am I suppoed to take this one, vs. this one..  It's so much easier now. And to get to the point. Chia Seeds... I have them at lunch on a yogurt, the reccommended dose, 2 table spoons, and let me tell you, my bathroom issues are OVER. I am in the bathroom, everyday, same time, in the morning... Comes out smooth and easy and quick, and off I go to deal with my day!  And not only are they good for your intestinal system, your GI track, digestion, all of that, but also are full of antioxidents, and even some iron, calcium and protein. And we all need those things! 

Buy a pound of them, you have to buy them online ( I got them at Lucky Vitamin ) or a whole foods store, by the pound. Try them! They taste like seeds, like sesame seeds, make your yougurt a little crunchier, but not intolerable, in the least, or sprinkle them on a salad or cereal.
Try them, I'm telling you, I am a believer in the Chia seeds...  You won't regret it!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

mrslatch
on 9/17/11 6:32 am - Fort Campbell, KY
How interesting!
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

missjann
on 9/17/11 8:37 am
Be sure to get plenty of water with your chia seeds as they absorb
tons of fluid. Put them in water and they will form a gelatin.
1 oz of chia seeds has 4 g protein, 12 g carbs (11 grams of
which are soluble fiber), 9 g fat and 145 calories.  It's a good
source of fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids.  These have long been
used by various cultures and foraging/hunting tribes used to
subsist for days on chia seeds.
    Jan

joyce1winner
on 9/17/11 1:53 pm - CA
 I will have to try this.  I have the same problem. Smooth Move tea helps but I want to be regular. Some days I am fine and will go about two or three times a day.  Others, it takes two or three days before I go and yes, it hurts.

I hope this works for me.   Will keep you posed on the outcome!
BrendaNNC
on 10/29/13 2:56 am - Raleigh, NC

I'm fixing to start using Chia Seeds in my smoothies.   Anyone, have any advice about using chia seeds?

Susan G.
on 10/29/13 4:22 am
I've seen them at Sprouts in the bulk section.
Sue G.            
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 458 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?