Soooo Confused!

Ramie A.
on 10/12/11 5:09 am - Bronx, New York, NY
I would caution you to first read a LOT of posts about vitamins before you buy those.  As a pre-op, you can take anything you want.  But post op RNY patients CAN NOT take "all-in-one" vitamins.  You will surely become deficient.   What most people do to start out is take a standard multivitamin twice a day, calcium citrate with D3 three times a day (500 mg x3/day=1500 mg), sublingual B12 (dose varies but start with 500 ug) in the morning with the multi and first dose of calcium, and then iron (not the sulfate variety) at night.  If your multi contains both calcium and iron, you won't absorb either of them in sufficient quantities to head off deficiencies.

After 3 months you'll have your first labs and that will tell you which other vitamins you have to take. 

I'm two months out and the routine is not so bad, actually.  Here's my schedule:

Morning:
   One dose of a chewable multivitamin (two pieces).  I chew (with a mouth wet by plenty of water) those while I feed my cat and take my blood sugar.  Then I put the B12 (not the complex) sublinguals under my tongue and let them dissolve while I shower.  Once out of the shower, I take the rest of my medication.  Finally, I put one dose of Bariatric Advantage unflavored calcium + D3 powder in with my protein when I make my breakfast shake. 

Afternoon:
   I chew two calcium citrate chewy bites as a treat after lunch.
   I take two calcium + D3 pills in the midafternoon.  I keep them on my desk so I remember to take them. 

Evening:
   Just before bed I take my iron.  I think I take carbonyl but now I can't remember how it's spelled.  Sulfate will give you constipation and gas (probably).

OPTIFAST.  I used optifast before my first (lapband) surgery and loved it and lost 10 lbs in a week.  Personally I didn't feel very hungery.  Most recently I used the Bariatric Advantage meal replacement powdered protein plus one protein bar, which was great for my need to chew. 

Good luck to you, and be sure to do your research before you buy those vitamins, ok?

Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

D-J
on 10/12/11 6:24 am
Karleigh,,do some research,,there is NO "all in one" pill for post op's
moving-on
on 10/12/11 7:29 am - Rimrock, AZ
Yes, I agree with the others that you will need to do your research. One vitamin does not cover all you need. Kelly is awesome about the vitamin needs of weight loss patients. She has helped me out alot.
Good luck on your research.
Debbie
poet_kelly
on 10/12/11 7:36 am - OH

Here's what the ASMBS says you should start with:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need.  Even though Flintstones says “complete" on the bottle, they really are not complete.  They recommend a multi with iron.  If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time.  They say to start your multi as soon as you get home from the hospital.

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate.  That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv.  They say you can wait up to one month to start your calcium – not that you should wait, just that you can.

18-27 mg iron for menstruating women, unless your labs show you need more.  (If you’re using a multi with no iron, that would mean you’d need 54-63 50 mg iron.)  We absorb carbonyl iron better than ferrous sulfate.  Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated.  They say to start your iron as soon as you get home from the hospital.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, a patch once a week, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more.  They say you can wait up to three months to start your B12 – not that you should wait, just that you can.

They say a B complex is optional.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do.  Don’t take the prescription vitamin D, because it’s D2 and in oil so we will absorb very little of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karleigh B.
on 10/12/11 10:28 am - CA
RNY on 11/01/11 with
    Thank you to everyone. I had a feeling that was too good to be true. I also would not have done anything without talking to my Dr. and looking into it. My Dr.'s office has never even heard of it, so that was a deffinite red flag. I deffinitly appreciate everyone looking out for everyone, that is awesome and will deffinitly help me to make the best decisions for my health. I read and read and read about the Vitamins and so far it is the only aspect of this surgery i dont completely understand yet. I hope everything will just make sense to me .. and SOON!
   But thank you to everyone!  Kelly I value what you say and how you help people so much. You are just so helpful... to everyone!
"If we lose, then it was worth fightin for. If we win, we only live to fight again" 
       Cee-Lo Green

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 486 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 71 views