B M Question; Need Advise Please

Daspian
on 10/25/11 1:48 am
Having trouble going big potty AGAIN. Called the doc and they said I need to go in three days, which is today. They said take Mag. Citrate. I have used a few other products without help. Does anyone else have this issue? This was trouble for me before surgery too. I take mira lax about every night anyway. I think I missed a coupke nights and that started the problem. 
I want to avoid ANY foods that can cause this. If you have any ideas please let me know. 
Thanks,
David 
_Donna_
on 10/25/11 1:52 am
Constipation is a big problem for RNYers.
Many of us take Miralax every day and, in addition, Benefiber works great every day too.
But for when things get really backed up, I use Dulcolax suppositories and I'm going in 15-30 minutes.

RNY 5-5-2011

Mandy R.
on 10/25/11 2:18 am - Callahan, FL
make sure you are drinking enough water

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

glzgowlass
on 10/25/11 2:18 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
This is a new problem for me.  I go about every two or three days and the nurse said that was ok but I might need a stool softener.  I just started taking it and it helped. 

But, I really don't want to take additional meds if I can find another way of avoiding it.  The pain is excruciating right now even with the stool softener because the last time I went, it actually caused damaged tissue which is going to have to heal.  I mean WOW!  It is so sore.

I just can't believe how much is produced considering how much less I'm eating.

It may be the iron pills I'm taking.  So I'm going to try and get the kind that don't cause constipation and see if that helps. I'm also thinking that as time goes on and I raise my complex carbs (with fiber) that might help too.  If not, then I guess I have to add stool softeners to my daily repetoire. 

Don't know if you are on iron or not, but I think carbonyl iron is supposed to ease constipation (if the iron is causing or exacerbating it)  I'm going to give that a go and see if it will help me go!

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/25/11 2:20 am
magnesium magnesium magnesium... daily.
I take probably 1500-2000 mg mag daily. Different forms. At night I take 800 mg mag oxide - (2x 400 mg caps).  Works wonder, and magnesium is something our body needs daily. My system can absorb all that needs and then any extra act as stool softeners in your gut.
BTW: if mag citrate did not work for you because maybe your body was depleted in magnesium and it used it all - absorbed.

I see that in so many people.
That and fat and water.  We need all of that to have great BM.  Too much fiber, not enough water or fat - and you may get really badly constipated.

Using too much fiber without the lubrication is like using sand to unclog the toilet... The only difference - out gut muscles... eventually will push the dry things through the system but it may be really painful.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

axlebart2
on 10/25/11 3:32 am - CA
I think it better than going like 5 times a day like before when all I did is eat!
I use benifiber packets ...Not sure if they work because I still have to work at going! Am eatting veggies more and seem to be reg!(still its work but not like  the 2nd week out!).
try under cooked chicken....lol! j/k
How the fat intake?
with me its apple sauce,eggs or egg beaters and cheeses!(cottage cheese and chedder).
good luck
poet_kelly
on 10/25/11 4:44 am - OH
I do Mirilax daily as well as 500 mg magnesium oxide and almost never have trouble now.  When I do have trouble still, I use a Dulcolax suppository.  It's not real fun but it's not awful, either, and it works every time.  45 minutes or less, and I am pooping away happily.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Daspian
on 10/25/11 6:52 am
Thank you all for the good ideas. I think I have heard bananas, cheese, eggs, and even chocolate can block you up. I'm sure there are others too. Got some relief this after noon after the mag. citrate. Will be putting these good thoughts into use.
Thanks again,
David
Apple-Jax
on 10/25/11 8:49 pm
philips milk of magnesia, works great and you dont have to drink as much as the citrate. 

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views