why won't my diabetes leave me alone?!!?

Massagelady
on 10/26/11 3:01 pm
 ok...I'm 9 weeks out.  Things are going great. but my type 2 diabetes is still as bad as ever!  it went down right after surgery, but now its right back up again. How cann one lose 40 pounds and still get a 300 reading!  I had that this morning!  I'm not eating that much yet so I don't understand why its so out of wack!

I've had type 2 for 15 years and was on insilin for the last 2. Just wonder what others that had diabetes went though after surgery.  Did it go away, how long did it take???

Help!!!
Dave Chambers
on 10/26/11 3:19 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Type II diabetes usually resolves in most patients. Type I not as well. Even those with Type II may have to take reduced meds, or maybe none at all--no guarantees prior to surgery. If several members of your family (mom, dad, brothers, sisters, grandparents) had diabetes, you're more likely to have issues fully resolving diabetes.  It's the genetic component in these cases that is the issue.  Remember, once a diabetic, always a diabetic. The surgery puts Type II into remission, but it can come back if you don'****ch diet.  I know a couple of members of my support groups who put up with diabetes for over 30 years. RNY resolved their diabetes for a couple of years, but it did return, but not as bad as when they were preop.  Resolving diabetes post op may take several weeks. Some post ops have quick resolution, and others take a few months.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Massagelady
on 10/26/11 4:17 pm
 yeah, unfortunately I have Diabetes rampent in both sides of my family.  I figured that with genetics and the fact that I've had it for so long was going to be an issue!  
missjann
on 10/26/11 5:10 pm
There's no diabetes in my family except for me. After 4 years and maxed out on
oral meds and nearing the point that insulin was going to be needed, I
had surgery and it resolved immediately......and I mean the day after surgery!
I went from high 300's to 152 the day after surgery and it's normal
now. I will of course be vigilant always.  I hope yours gets better and resolves.
The length of time you battled the disease and your strong genetic
component may be a factor, but hang in there and good luck!
    Jan

laura_vermont
on 10/26/11 11:09 pm
Be patient.  I think we just want everything resolved *now*.  My personal issue was BP, not diabetes.  But, even my surgeon told me that I would be off meds in the hospital, I wasn't -- it took 3-4 months.

Hang in there!
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Ramie A.
on 10/27/11 1:08 am - Bronx, New York, NY
I am/was a Type II diabetic for more than 15 years and on insulin exclusively the last couple of years.  My Endo said to stop taking all insulin after surgery.  I did and when I drank protein shakes and stuff, it stayed under 150.  But if I ate ANY carb -- including oatmeal, high fiber/high protein cereals, whole wheat bread, etc. -- it went to 250 or higher.  So now I'm kind of a combo diabetic.  If I don't eat bread-y carbs then I don't give myself insulin.  If I do, then I give myself 2 or 3 units.  My Endo said that my pancreas is so shot from producing insulin all these years that I'm essentially a Type I diabetic now, with too little insulin.  She thinks the carb processing will get better as I lose weight but it might not.  I also have a strong genetic component.

It is rather disappointing, isn't it?  Of course, I use MUCH less insulin (1-3 units per day, if ANY at all) than I did before surgery.  I'll have to keep close tabs on it, however, because I am likely to be a Type I-like diabetic for the rest of my life.  It's better than being the out of control Type II that I was, right?

Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

Massagelady
on 10/27/11 4:54 am
 Thanks Ramie for your reply...you had your RNY the same day that  I did!  :)   Same problem here, if I ate anything carby too my blood sugar shoots up.  It stays in the "ones" if I don't eat carbs.  Crazy huh.  

I'm down 40 lbs and thought that would really help but not so far.  I'm thinking that carbs are going to be a forever issue.  BOO!  

You are right, I was an out of control type 2 but being more in control is better.  My Endo once said to me there should be a type 1.5 diabetes.  LOL  not a full type 1 but worse then type 2.

good luck hopefully as we lose weight it will get even better!  

Scherrie Tappin
on 10/27/11 6:30 am - CT
I had my RNY 5/25/11 and was a diabetic for about 15 years also. My diabetes didn't resolve itself after surgery. In fact, about a few days later I ended up in the ICU in diabetic ketoacidosis, and almost died! Let me tell you, on top of recovering from the surgery and then that incident, I was one sick puppy!

Fast forward to today: As the months went on my numbers went down, down, down, and I required less and less insulin. Today, I am insulin-free with a A!C of 7 from 9.5! The doctor said as time goes on my A1C will get better and better.  I know....alot of people I know who had diabetes, theirs went away right after surgery, so did many with high blood pressure (I still have to take 2 different meds for the high blood pressure, can you believe that?)! But considering ALL the meds I was taking before I had the surgery, I think I'm doing ok! And I'm really grateful! I know the pharmacy hates the fact that they're not getting all that money from me monthly anymore!! LOL! Let me tell you, I bought more meds than I did food (grocery shopping) for my home! Hang in there! One day, you'll be insulin-free!
        RNY 5/25/2011                        
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 225 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views