Will I ever get to that turning point? What will it take??

aidenswings
on 10/27/11 2:18 am
Hello everyone! I post on this board off and on and am now in a bad way. I had Gastric Bypass 7/2010 and originally lost 60 lbs in a few months. I now have ballooned back 15 lbs shy of my pre op weight!!!! I am wondering now..what will be my turning point? The moment I stick to eating the way I am supposed to post op and exercising more? When will I start taking care of myself? Do you know how many people have asked me why would I put my body through so much and then just throw in the towel? I have abused my own self in a way.

I don't understand why when I eat like I do and feel nasty(get the dumping syndrome all the time) why doesn't that deter me from repetition? Yes I am a food addict..I love jelly beans, ice cream, chips..u name it. I am post op and eat a whole bagel with cream cheese for breakfast!

I love food, food is social. My son is 7 and loves to eat but he is very thin and is healthy. I don't allow him to eat the way I do though.

So right now I am 5'4 154 lbs and pre op I was 170! I am a single mom to my 7 yr old son. I am in a good relationship, work full time and go to school nights. What can I do?

Sorry to go on and on, I am writing basically to get my thoughts out there and also get some feedback as to others experiences. How did you get over hurdles? Did you have a breaking point pre or post op? Has anyone else out there gained alot back like me post op and now are in the same shoes? I would appreciate anything yu would liek to share!

Thanks for reading,

Kristen
(deactivated member)
on 10/27/11 2:30 am - Santa Cruz, CA
You are probably like me (and many other SMO) in that you are very susceptible to refined carbs.

I'm willing to bet big money (if I had big money lol) that you started eating crackers, bread, etc. 
When we do that, our bodies make excessive insulin to combat the extra sugar that is dumped
into our systems by eating refined carbs.  The result is that we always feel hungry, because
that is what insulin does.  This is called Metabolic Syndrome--look it up.  It's a really big catch-22.

So what can we do?  NO WHITE FOODS  in our diets, in our houses, in our shopping carts.

Log your intake on sparkpeople.com or dailyplate.com, etc., which can help you to track your
intake re: carbs, fats, calories, and protein, etc.  This really helps.

Exercise, even if its only for ten minutes a day.  I know my weight regain has been definitely 
affected by refined carbs and lack of exercise.  I'm actively working on this now, and I'm already
seeing a result.  A small move down, but definitely down!

There's a forum on this site for Back On Track Together:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discuss ion/

There are some really great folks there. 

Don't give up--you can succeed.

Best wishes,
Carol M.
on 10/27/11 2:31 am - TX
Kristen, have you considered counseling to address your issues with food? I have been in counseling for 5 years,long before I even seriously considered surgery. I have a wonderful counselor who has been able to help me through many issues. He had no experience in dealing with WLS individuals per se, but he has helped me in exploring the things that led me to need the surgery. You can turn this around,but it will take work. Consider counseling, but go back to the basics of your eating plan. If it were me, I would do a jumpstart with a 2 week liquid diet just like pre-op. Then start measuring your foods, planning your meal, and keep a food journal. You need to make yourself accountable, if only to yourself. Surgery was just a tool for us to use in the job of losing weight, it was not and is not a cure.
Being there for your son as he grows up is worth any of the hard work you have to do.
cajungirl
on 10/27/11 2:32 am
Let me make sure I understand.  Your starting weight was 170 lbs at 5'4", this confuses me you weren't obese.  Please explain maybe you typed the wrong numbers.

Are you seeing a therapist, it seems to me it is something you really need to consider to tackle your food addiction.

yes I know others that have regained.  I have a very good friend that never reached goal, gained 70 lbs and lost it plus got to goal in the past 2 years.  She's a 9 year post-op; she had enough knew what she needed to do and did it.  It's doable, with HARD work.  You have to be willing to do that hard work and IMO without dealing with the food addiction you will have a huge fight on your hands. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

TXKashmir
on 10/27/11 2:35 am - Grand Prairie, TX
*hijack*

Dana - loving the new avie - you look great!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

cajungirl
on 10/27/11 6:21 am
Thanks, Debbie!

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

aidenswings
on 10/27/11 3:24 am

OOPS! It was a type I meant to write 5'4 270 at surgery 254 now. Sorry! Wishful typing! And yes I am trying to get therapy though my therapist just tells me I should not have gotten it if I wasn't psychologically ready. Big help now! UGH>>>

waitingtoexhale69
on 10/27/11 3:46 am - IL
THAT WAS RUDE OF HIM/HER TO SAY THAT.  I would not choose that person to talk with.  Good luck in finding some one who is professional in verse.

waitingtoexhale69
on 10/27/11 3:11 am - IL
Sorry to hear that you are going through this.   Also sounds like their are some other underlying issues that you are going through.  I would definiely speak to a therapist and get some help.  Sometimes it helps to discuss things that have lead you to a certain point in your life.  I would be afraid to have you come all this way and give up and not find the help you deserve.  Please be gentle with yourself  and let us know how things are going. Do you have a support group or pen pal to talk to?

poet_kelly
on 10/27/11 3:18 am - OH
Are you in therapy?  If you're waiting for a turning point to just happen, unfortunately it doesn't usually work that way.  We have to make it happen.  If you aren't taking care of yourself, if you are abusing yourself, if you are addicted to food, you need help.  Nothing wrong with that, lots of us do.  But a good therapist can probably help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics