Carb question and TMI issue

inmyownskin
on 10/27/11 9:27 am - Westbury, NY
So my first question is in regards to carbs.  Right now I know I can't have it and even in the long run I should stay away from them.  Especially for me because I love pasta and pizza. Not so much a rice fan.  My question is whether I will eventually be able to have 1 or 2 tablespoons of my beloved mac n cheese or some form of pasta?

Now my second issue is in regards to the bathroom.  I totally get the liquid in liquid out thing.  It doesn't really bother be but over the last few days, I notice I am getting crampy after drinking and immediately have to go.  I also get nauseous and feel like I may vomit but I haven't at all.  My mouth gets kind of watery which for me is a sign that I may throw up.  Is this normal or is there something else going on?

Any advise or tips will help.
HW: 293 SW (lap-band 2007): 280 Consult Weight: 264 CW: 214
SW (RNY 2011): 254 Personal GW: 150 Surgeon's GW: 140

eunicemaythompson1

on 10/27/11 9:29 am - WA
i was told eventually you can have whole grain pasta so you can make mac n cheese out of that im sure
jmelyn1977
on 10/27/11 9:45 am
Pasta and things will be ur choice as u get farther out. I can not tolerate whole grain pasta. I have eaten regular pasta but it sits heavy in my pouch. But for me 2-3 bites n I'm satisfied. I have tried Mac n cheese -again 2-3 n I'm good. This has to be a life changing event... and for me... I think you can have whatever you want IF you can do it in moderation. I do not live my life on a "DIET". I dno if this helps. But just thought I'd put out my 2 cents.
Can't help you w the other "toilet issues". I have the opposite problems.
Good Luck,
~Jamie~

TxSuz
on 10/27/11 10:01 am
What kinda of liquids are you taking? Are you using milk in your shakes? It could be you are now lactose intolerant, causing your bathroom problem. I know I cannot tolerate milk in my shakes, I use water. Yes you shouldn't have a problem with a bite or two of mac n cheese later on. I say shouldn't because everyone is different. Good luck!!
 -Suzanne

Price S.
on 10/27/11 10:36 am - Mills River, NC
I can eat pasta with no problems, I just don't.  It is a choice for me but some folks may have issues with pasta or rice.

the only time my mouth go****ery like I was going to throw up was when I had foamies, eating steak too fast and not chewing well enough.  I've never done that from liquids.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

poet_kelly
on 10/27/11 1:03 pm - OH
Sure, you can have pasta eventually if you want to.  Some people prefer to avoid it because it's a trigger food for them; they have trouble sticking to just one or two tablespoons.  I don't eat pasta often because it feels really heavy in my pouch and I don't like that feeling, but I eat small amounts occasionally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Loveshinesthru
on 10/27/11 1:58 pm - Mesa, AZ
 My mouth gets watery when I have food stuck in my pouch and sometimes feel like I want to vomit. I hope you dont have a stricture coming on. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

sweetpotato1959
on 10/27/11 2:12 pm
 re; Pasta: Don't think of it as something  that you can't have, but as something you can have within limits.  I eat pasta, but in  1/4 cup servings with a high protein.(tuna, chicken, or ground round) ... I've read the other comments and to eat pasta it needs to be cooked about 1-2 min longer than normal.. When you make this one change it does not sit as heavy.....There is also an asian one made from Glucomanan(SP?)   that promotes weight loss( the Japanese use it)....but I can't get it in this hick area. Try an asian grocery store...  
     As for the bathroom problem, sounds like a milk intolerance..esp if it  floats.... You might want to swap to a soy for a short term to see if that helps...there is one marketed at GNC.(widely available).. There is also a egg white one......it wasn't available when I had my surgical procedure...17 yrs ago...a gastric by-pass with a pouch, banding ect... and most of my large intestine was removed..
    The nausea...sounds like what I have if I don't chew something well or eat too fast..Or I get something with hidden fat....many times getting up and moving will stop the bad reaction. Warm liquid will often assist it to go down. so I would definitely have  a swallow of warm fluid ASAP for that help. In time you will find where the bottom of your pouch is, and sometimes getting up stretching and rubbing that area will produce relief.
inmyownskin
on 10/27/11 2:13 pm - Westbury, NY
I am on full liquids and have another week to go.  It is such an uneasy feeling.  I don't mind going to the bathroom, it is much better than being constipated.  But the nausea and watery mouth thing is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do to make it stop.
HW: 293 SW (lap-band 2007): 280 Consult Weight: 264 CW: 214
SW (RNY 2011): 254 Personal GW: 150 Surgeon's GW: 140

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/11 3:10 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, you can eventually have pasta, if you really want it.  I used to LOVE mac-and-cheese;  I found
a high-protein pasta and tried it out.  Found that the flavor simply wasn't the same.  I don't know if
that's because the pasta was different, or my tastebuds had changed, but it just wasn't worth the
effort. 

Re: nausea and mouth-watering;  nausea may be from dehydration (first because it's the easiest
guess) and the mouth-watering is from your saliva glands trying to help something move out of
the esophagus.  Are you having problems eating?  This can be an early sign of a stricture.  If it
starts to be that you're vomiting food, get to your surgeon.  He can do an EDG and a stretching
of the stoma and you'll be good to go.

Best wishes,
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 232 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 236 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 66 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?