SWELLING LEGS

dasie
on 11/1/11 7:00 pm

Do we have to moderate our over-the counter medication dosages post RNY, i.e. cannot take the recommended dose?

I have had a sinus headache for 2 weeks...I hope that is what it is.  Anyway, I have been taking Tylenol several times per day.  I have not taken this much Tylenol since having my RNY.  Several days ago, the lower part of my legs have started swelling...really swelling.  I cannot get it to go down.  I take BP meds with a diuretic and checked to make sure my lates refill was correct.  Last night my husband read on the back of the Tylenol bottle that swelling can be a side affect.  He asked me if post RNY our bodies can't handle/process medications the same way.  I am drinking water and not using salt.  I just cannot figure out why my legs have swelled like this.  This is the first time this has happened post surgery.

Michelle E.
on 11/1/11 7:37 pm
I havent noticed that tylenol does that to me.. I have been taking 1000 mg tylenol for the last 2 days due to headaches.. Can you elevate your legs at night.. are you maybe crossing them too much? If you sit at work or at home alot can you elevate your legs with a foot rest? How about getting a massage?

I would probably get checked by the dr make sure not anything too serious..

Michelle
dasie
on 11/1/11 8:07 pm
Thanks...when I wake up in the morning they are a little better, but then start to swell again.  It is mostly at my ankles.  It is just strange.

Pupcake !.
on 11/1/11 11:57 pm - Stranded in, IA
You should get to your Doc and have blood drawn. 

Your protein or iron levels or somthing else may be off.  That causes the fluid to leave the blood stream and into your body.  (water sticks to the heavier molecules and if there aren't enough they go elsewhere)

I think fluid retention due to tylenol is a late stage liver failure side effect.

Good luck

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Laura in Texas
on 11/1/11 7:39 pm
Wow, Dasie. Call your doctor today. Sounds serious.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

dasie
on 11/1/11 8:08 pm
I'm going to see what happens today then probably call my PCP.  This is just weird, but I also have not taken so much Tylenol for so many days since I have been post op.  Thanks

lanagirl
on 11/1/11 9:45 pm
Instead of taking so much Tylonal why not try something like Mucinex that breaks up the sinus stuffiness? Call the dr either way and let them see if you have a sinus infection.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/2/11 12:30 am
Low protein levels may also casue sweeling, water retention. Combine that with Tylenol - and you may see some seriuos issue.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sunbunnyqt
on 11/2/11 1:21 am - FL
Dasie, I am praying you will see your PCP and get this checked out asap. You need to find out the cause of the swelling.
Hillery82211
on 11/2/11 1:26 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
Please call your PCP ASAP.  You could have a blood clot.  All of my blood clots (I've had three) all started out with the same sympotoms...swelling in the leg that went down overnight only to return as soon as I stood up for a few minutes.  Do not sit around waiting to see what happens....go to the doctor TODAY.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 355 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 334 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 291 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 350 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?