Carbohydrates are evil!

Michele816
on 11/8/11 6:21 am
 Early on I didn't eat many carbs or track them as it was hard enough trying to get  all the protein in each day.  Foods like zucchini (shredded) and broccoli florets, fat free refried beans, a little sweet potato, P28 bread were my carb sources.  At about 6 months I began tracking carbs and fats as well as protein and calories.  I kept them under 50 grams until about 9 or 10 months. The carbs I eat are from dairy, vegetables (yes, I do sometimes-a few times a month, eat white and sweet potatoes), fruit and  whole grains that are higher in fiber. Just prior to 1 year I spoke with my Nut and upped them to 75-80 grams.  It was difficult to eat a nectarine or an apple, quinoa, lentils, farro or cereal(Fiber One 80 or Special K high protein ) without doing that.  I don't generally crave more carbs because of it.  In fact, I think the contrary is true.  Because I don't eliminate or severly limit them, I am not constantly seeking them.  It has not compromised my weight loss either.  I keep to the parameters that have been set for carb intake (many days I hit the 75-80 range, some days I come way below and once in a great while I go over-if I factor net carbs then I am not over), I get 100+ grams of protein and am currently consuming approximately 900-1050 calories a day.  On the advice of my Nut and because it seems to make sense,  I have been upping my caloric range every couple of months as I get closer to maintenance.  It seems to keep my metabolism active, keeps me losing, should eventually land me at a caloric intake level  for maintenance that will work well.  I think as long as you hitting your protein goal and staying withing your caloric intake range, adding carbs are not a bad thing.  Just make good, healthy choices as that is what is ultimately the goal of this surgery-to change our relationship with food so that is serves our well being rather than enslaving our desires.

Morgaine
on 11/8/11 6:30 am - MA
For those who seem really concerned with my description of carbs as being evil, rest assured it was merely hyperbole.  No, I do not truly believe that food has either evil or heavenly attributes (although if food could be heavenly, I would nominate ice cream for sainthood).

But thanks to everyone *****sponded.  Especially the suggestion of the whole wheat toast.  I bought the thin whole wheat bread but after the cracker fiasco, was afraid to give it a try.  Maybe that won't be so easily digested and therefore will not trigger more cravings.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 11/8/11 6:38 am - Baltimore, MD
Yes, I am aware of that. But our use of the term as a default can be damaging just the same. I didn't mean any offense, but it's a mindset we don't talk about a lot. The story we tell ourselves about our process, food, our lives, everything is important, so I wanted to make sure to point that out.

Food is food. Some of it tastes good and I know I certainly like it! The only thing that is heavenly to me is God.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 9:38 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Simple carbs make your body produce more insulin to convert them to sugar.  Your body doesn't recognize the conversion, only sees "Hunger, need to eat.   FEEED MEEEE"  So you eat more
white carbs, jack up your insuline, more hunger, around and around and around.

No white foods.  Even complex carbs such as whole.grain bread can be a trigger. 

Stop with the white foods.  No bread, sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta

Good luck!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 490 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 490 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 361 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?