Eating too much???

RCOK0011
on 11/9/11 1:33 pm - CA
Hi guys, I have just finished my seventh month and my weight has flatlined about a month ago. I wasn't too worried about it because I know that stalls happen but then my mother tells me today that I eat more at one sitting than anyone else that she knows that has had gastric bypass and have since right after my surgery. I was totally freaked out and wondering if maybe I eat too much and have stretched my pouch and that is why I am not losing anything. I am 5' 1" and my surgery weight on 4/5/11 was 250 and my current weight is 183. I have lost close to 70 lbs and am thrilled but on my short stature I still need to lose 35-45 lbs. My daily eating usually consists of the following:

breakfast-12 oz. procomplex protein shake
snack- chobani greek yogurt
lunch- healthy choice meal or something about that size
snack- protein bar
dinner- 6 oz. meat (chicken or steak) and some type of veggie (sometimes pasta or mashed potatoes instead of veggie)
not to mention occasional bites of bad snacks here and there (I don't seem to have a problem with any type of food)

My doctor just told me to count protien and nothing else but lately I have started tracking calories and carbs and for the above food it usually runs around 1100-1200 calories and my carbs are usually at least 80 grams.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might have as to what you think I am doing right or wrong. I have an apt. with my NUT on Monday thank goodness!
Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

poet_kelly
on 11/9/11 1:57 pm - OH
How many people does your mom know that had RNY?  And how far out are they?

The only thing that really stands out to me is the six ounces of meat for dinner.  One serving of meat is usually just three ounces.  I know we need a lot of protein in our diet.  But six ounces of meat plus some veggies might be kind of a lot.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RCOK0011
on 11/9/11 2:30 pm - CA
Kelly, My husband asked me the same thing...."How many people is your mom hanging out with that has had the surgery?" and I must admit she only works with one or two at the school she works with so she doesn't see them eating all that often but I was concerned I was messing up. And maybe I was overestimating the ounces of meat at dinner time. The piece of meat I eat is no bigger than the palm of my hand (and sometimes I can not eat all of that) and I thought that meant about 6 oz. Some times I like to get a baked potatoe and large chili from Wendy's and I eat half for dinner and then the other half for lunch.  That is the typical size of my meals.....Is that too much at one time do you think?
Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

poet_kelly
on 11/9/11 2:35 pm - OH
A three ounce piece of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.

So you eat more than one or two other people that had this surgery?  Maybe?  Yeah, so?  How about next time you tell her "Well, mom, you eat more than everyone I know that has not had gastric bypass surgery.  And I know more than two people that haven't had surgery, too."

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

FinallyFit1
on 11/9/11 8:19 pm
Your eating plan sounds about the same as mine, except that I don't eat potatoes or pasta. What I was wondering though, can we be stretching our pouch with eating that much. I do find that I am eating much more now. Just how much is TOO MUCH...
And I can eat anything also, which really annoys me...
Price S.
on 11/9/11 8:46 pm - Mills River, NC
I hit a big slowdown on my 5th month, then it picked up again. 

I would suggest investing in a scale from Walmart, not the spring kind but a digital.  They are about $30.  It is hard to see exactly what we are eating unless we measure.  I know 1 oz of cheese in my egg can turn into 2 pretty easily.  Then find one of the on line trackers and see what you are really consuming.  You may be surprised.  I get my protein over 100, carbs around 30 net and calories end up around 1100.  I CAN eat anything, chose not to eat white carbs, flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, pasta.

Between now and your appt, write down everything you are eating so your NUT will have a good idea of how to help you.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

hedrider
on 11/9/11 11:52 pm - Midlothian, TX
I stalled at 6 months for a long time, and it sounds like many people do.  Your body might just need a break.

If you don't weigh your food I would suggest that you start.  At over 1 1/2 years out I can't eat 6 oz of steak in one sitting.  I think you are overestimating your measurements.  I can eat 2 1/2 - 3 oz of good steak with about 5-6 brussell sprouts and I am bursting at the seams.  I can eyeball measurements if I need to because I have weighed and measured throughout my whole journey, but unless I am unable to (eating out, etc)  I always weigh all my meals.

I also don't eat pasta or white potatoes so I'm unsure if that could be contributing to your stall.

I do see a lot of sodium in some of your choices - perhaps that could be contributing as well.

Otherwise, nothing really sends up a flag...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

allvalerie
on 11/10/11 2:46 am - Seward, AK
I'm also 5'1". At surgery I weighed 233 and now weigh 175. I didn't loose any weight for month 6, 7 and 8. In fact I gained 3 lbs. Now that I hit month 9 I have lost a little each week for 3 weeks now thank goodness. I eat pretty much what you do and wonder all the time if I am eating to much too. Let me know what your NUT says-

Valerie
Most Active
Recent Topics