Gall Bladder and RNY

xtine
on 11/18/11 1:09 am - San Jose, CA
I just found out that I am definitley having my Gall Bladder removed when I have my RNY surgery. They didn't say exactly what is wrong with it but I am assuming I have stones. I guess better they remove it now than have to have another surgery later. Does anyone know if that increases recovery time/recovery difficulty by a lot?

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

bubbylucy
on 11/18/11 1:13 am - Raleigh, NC
It does not make recovery any longer if everything goes as expected. It does tend to make you have a bit more pain than without having a gallbladder. That is coming from my experience as a nurse taking care of both types of patients.

Good luck
Audra

xtine
on 11/18/11 1:57 am - San Jose, CA
Thank you!

Judy M.
on 11/18/11 2:30 am
i had mine removed during RNY and had no extra down time. I am glad to be rid of it.
xtine
on 11/18/11 2:35 am - San Jose, CA
Good to know! Thank you. I am so nervous as I have never even had one surgery, let alone two things combined into one surgery... not that I would rather wait and have it removed later.

dori M.
on 11/18/11 8:55 am - MD
I had my gall bladder at the same time I had my rny. My surgery was a little longer than ppl who didn't have their's removed but that was it. I had surgery on a Monday, came home on Wednesday and didn't need to take any of my pain meds. By Thursday I was walking around the grocery store (i didnt drive myself). So no, I doesn't add to your recovery (atleast mine didn't)

unewillow
on 11/18/11 3:06 am - CT
I don't think it added any extra time to my recovery and since I was having pain for years before my surgery I was thankful to have it gone. I did notice though, that for about a month post-op even after I started eating solid foods I was still getting loose-bile filled stools because of my liver dumping bile into my system wiley-niley. But, it did get better.

steve D.
on 11/18/11 4:12 am - West Fargo, ND
I just had mine out, 1 1/2 years after surgery.  About a year ago they discovered I had gallstones, but did not tell the surgeon.  When he found out he advised me to have it out as it I developed problems later, they would have to go through my old stomch if stones got in the bile duct.  I wish they had taken mine right away.  Would have saved me some money.

Steve

oblack1994
on 11/18/11 9:23 am - vancouver, WA
You'll do fine! I have my gallbladder removed same time as RNY and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Kill two birds in one stone, and glad that its over with. I did have a lot of pain afterwards. Was pretty sore for a couple weeks but I was up and moving after discharged home. So yes its a piece of cake, and yes there will be some pain afterwards but not long... GOod luck to ...