Does everyone know what the Foamies are??

cabin111
on 11/23/11 7:22 am

When you get a piece of food stuck in your pouch and it won't proceed into the small intestine (or won't come up) you will start to get a white foam appearing in your mouth.  Not fun.  Usually if effects those RNYers early on.  Below is a copy and paste from DX...A very knowledgeable guy.  He doesn't post much anymore here on OH (had several disputes with the owners and is very busy).  I will try and grab some of his best posts and repost them over the next few week.  Brian

“FOAMIES"- The Slang Term for a condition caused when you plug your stoma with something
And the saliva, and mucus produced in the esophagus linings
And upper most portion of Stomach (the part used to make a pouch)
No longer has an exit below so it comes out the one above. 
Can be caused by-
Eating too fast,
Not chewing well enough and
Swallowing something to big
To go through the little hole (stoma) out of your pouch into you intestines.

Bread is a bad one.
Particularly soft bread.
Even when you chew it well, bread can “gum-up" and plug your stoma.
Take a pinch of white bread and try to mu**** up in your fingers. Since your pouch isn’t adding stomach juices to the mix, this is the same thing pretty much that happens to bread in your pouch. Little Ball of tough dough.
(this is why often Docs recommend Toast rather than Bread early on)

Swallowing a large pill can do it too for a few folks.
This tends to not be a problem further out Post-op.
Meat (Dry Chicken or pork get a lot of folks) That is not chewed thoroughly can plug in for quite a while.

Many folks claim that sipping ho****er with some meat tenderizer in it will speed its passing.

The “Contradiction for Meat Tenderizer" is the fact that one Could aspirate this into their lungs if they threw up and breathed in at the same time.
Some reassurance can be taken from-
The most popular meat tenderizer, called bromelain, is composed of a number of protease enzymes and harvested commercially from pineapples, in about the same concentration as found in the juice one could buy in the grocery store. Besides being a meat tenderizer, bromelain is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent, blocking metabolites that cause swelling. It is used to treat sports injuries and sometimes swelling caused by arthritis. 
Papain, extracted from the papaya, is another popular meat tenderizer. It is also found in the same concentration levels as papaya juice.
If fear of aspirating such enzymes would contradict using them to unblock stuck food, then they would be dangerous to drink as well.
Yes?
One other bit of info- Bromelian and Papain Will Not “Eat or Dissolve" Living tissue, it’s a different protein structure of dead/cooked flesh, and flesh with not only a living blood supply of oxygen, but a lining that is used to the highly destructive and corrosive properties of Stomach Acid. This accounts for the LACK of Thousands of Law suits against the McCormick Spice people over the last 70+years they have had “Meat Tenderizer" on the market.

If not willing to use “Meat Tenderizer" then Papaya Enzyme sold as a digestive aid for a higher price (buy at health food store) will certainly work.

Now the Papaya or Pineapple enzymes ARE good stuff,
And work.
However, They Only work on MEAT that's stuck.
They don't break down carbs of any kind.
They work by breaking down breaking the peptide bonds between amino acids in the collagen of in complex muscle tissues.
So, lets say you get a hunk of bread or cheese stuck –
It doesn’t do Squat!

Carbs require a special set of enzymes to break down.
If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you,
You can pick up a bottle of Nature's Plus Nutri-Zyme.
It has enzymes specifically designed to help in the breakdown of carbohydrates
(Amylase & Lipase )
(Works on proteins too with Papain ) and comes in a chewable wafer.
It does have 3 grams of sugar - so if your SUPER sensitive to sugar, :toilet:
Not such a good trade of one problem for another.

If you can't find it locally,
The Vitamin Shoppe online carries it priced too.

The “Best Thing?" Chew the food more carefully if one is prone to getting food stuck.
An Ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure.

And one final bit of reassurance…
This foamy business is something that is likely to be an issue
during a RNYer’s fist 5 months.
Rarely an issue beyond 9 months out.

cabin111
on 11/23/11 7:25 am
PS  If you have the Foamies you need to know what a stricture is.  You don't know ask...  Many people who get the Foamies early on actually have a stricture and need to get treated for it...That's another story and thread...
FinallyFit1
on 11/23/11 7:56 am
Thanks for posting.  Do you know when it is we are allowed to swallow a large pill.  I have bought some glucosamine and they are large pills.  I am not sure what I should do.

pattymac65
on 11/23/11 8:02 am
 My doc says no pills ever again!  Always crush or get liquid or melts.  Ask yours what their recommendation is. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/11 8:42 am
We can take pills. Most of us anyway.   I take some. Some sit to heavily in my pouch. But can't predict which one will and which one will not.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/11 8:41 am
The only way to know is to try them. I can do some pills.  Some - they do not get stuck per se. but hey feel so heavy sitting there...
Capsules are great.

Take a pill and drop in small amount of water. Time to see how fast they disolve.  If not fats enough... break them down or crush them.  Otherwise - you shall be fine...
I have been taking pills (some) since the first day from hospital...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erica H.
on 11/23/11 8:42 am
 My surgeons rule is not to swallow any pills bigger than an asprin. Glucosamine does come in a liquid form. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/11 8:38 am
ah.... foamies are the thing I get when I try to eat raw carrots... every time... never fails... Not many other things gets stuck anymore... Carrots ... every time.. I need to give up trying... Last time I tried them 3 months ago... no go... lol... ....

jvan71
on 11/23/11 9:16 am - TN
LOL...our cat gets this when she's feeling sick to her stomach...we've always called it Foamy Mouth. :)

Thanks for the info, though!  I haven't heard of this yet for humans or even related to the RNY, so it's very good to know!!

Jen
HW: 330   SW 314   CW 262   GW 130      
Patti1md
on 11/23/11 10:23 am
Is Coenzymes the same thing as papaya enzymes?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 353 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 332 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 284 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 348 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 284 views