carafate? Do we all take it?

NANCY C.
on 11/25/11 10:08 pm - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
 I was told to take carafate 3 times a day for the next several months.  I also had to take it in the past for ulcer issues.  Is this a normal prescription to all RNY patients?  I keep forgetting at least  once a day or so to take this and wonder if I am harming my healing.

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

TamaraL
on 11/25/11 10:23 pm
nope.   Only a small percentage of doctors use it for prevention.  Carafate is used to treat ulcers.  Maybe because you have had ulcers in the past they don't want you to get them again.  If youve had ulcers before I would really try to take this as much as possible.

Tamara

Carol S.
on 11/25/11 10:41 pm - Milwaukee, WI
 I don't take it and never have.

I did have a bout with Gastritis a few months ago for which I took Bella Donna (sp?).  Mine was from the use of NSAIDS.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Susan M.
on 11/25/11 11:19 pm - Howell, MI
I did not have to take it until I developed a ulcer so now have to 4x a day for 3 months when they will scope me and check on the ulcer.

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

poet_kelly
on 11/25/11 11:47 pm - OH
We don't all take it, no.  It was not prescribed for me.  I think it's to help prevent ulcers and decrease stomach acid, isn't it?  Not really to help you heal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/26/11 12:21 am - OH
No, you are not harming your healing by not taking it, but since you have had ulcers in the past you are at a higher risk for developing them after RNY (so you SHOULD follow doctor's instructions for taking it).

NOT everyone is prescribed something to prevent ulcers, and some people are only prescribed something for a month or so during the active healing period.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

treehousestories
on 11/26/11 10:24 pm
I was never told to take it. I think its based on the individual whether you need it or not.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views