Sugar Vs. Sugar Alchols

treehousestories
on 11/30/11 9:07 am
I can eat at least 13 grams of sugar without dumping. I know this because I ate a protein bar with that much sugar in it and I felt fine. I ate 1 of those little Weigh****cher sugar free chocolates yesterday and I felt like death. There was 0 grams of sugar in it but it of course didn't say how many sugar alcohols were in there. Lets just say I won't be doing that again! Same thing happened once when I tried sugar free ice cream. 

Anyone have similar experiences?

Dan OBrien
on 11/30/11 9:21 am - FL
I have avoided sugar as much as possible, but as for the sugar alcohol, it really hit me hard.  I loaded up on some SF chocolate covered peanuts, got sweaty, felt nauseous and then spent a while in the bathroom until both legs fell asleep.  Won't go there again!!!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

for_my_kids
on 11/30/11 9:24 am - NC
RNY on 08/20/10 with
my rule of thumb is 6g or sugar or less...3g of sugar alcohol or less.  if it has both sugar & sugar alcohol in it, I don't eat it.  i did not attempt to eat anything extravigant until at leat 1yr post op, including ice cream.  it may have been another ingredient that made you feel bad, or it could have been the sugr alcohol.  my general rule for myself is:  keep it simple.  I have a base list of safe items, and just rotate them out to keep from getting bored.  Kachi TLC chewy ganola bars are good:  trail mix, peanut butter, honey almond, and dark chocolate all have 6g or less of sugar and at least 5g of protein.

225+ Pounds Lost, Two Hundred...gone...but not forgotten!
gbsinsatx
on 11/30/11 12:04 pm - San Antonio, TX
 Sugar alcohols cause gastric distress in a lot of people. I got violent cramping and gas from them prior to RNY and can only tolerate 2-3 grams after RNY. I try to steer clear of foods containing them. I am able to tolerate up to 30 grams of sugar though without dumping.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/30/11 12:09 pm - OH
Yep.  I am much more sensitive to sugar alcohols than regular sugar.  If I want a sweet treat, I just make allowance in my daily caloric intake to eat a small amount of something with real sugar (a few M&Ms, one of the snack size candy bars, or a large spoonful of full-fat, full-sugar ice cream are my most frequent snacks).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BugdocMom
on 11/30/11 3:59 pm - CA
Sugar AND Sugar Alcohols are the devil for me!!