Oatmeal

vim_and_vinegar
on 12/29/11 6:54 am
 I'm FINALLY on the puree stage, and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to try some oatmeal. Thoughts?

wendydettmer
on 12/29/11 7:07 am - Rochester, NY
It's on my puree stage IF I mix it with protein powder. They allow it as a protein shake supplement.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

LJ1972
on 12/29/11 7:07 am, edited 12/28/11 7:08 pm - FL
I didn't have oatmeal until a couple of months out, just because of carbs and no real nutritional value.
When I did talk to my NUT / dietician about it, she suggested something like the appetite control because it at least has a little protein.

I was on a regular diet by then, so I added chopped walnuts and dried cranberries to mine. I also soothe my conscience by adding some unflavored protein.

As far as when to try it? Up to you and your doc. Maybe some vets will chime in.

ETA - strained oatmeal was on the plan, but not high fiber

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

jacki_reed346
on 12/29/11 8:44 am - TN
 OK, I have a question about one part of your post.  Does the unflavored protein have a smell?  And is it really unflavored?  Where did you get it?  The whey protein shake stuff that I have make me gag!

LJ1972
on 12/29/11 8:52 am - FL
Unflavored simply is not flavored as chocolate, vanilla, etc.  It does have a taste but I have never tasted it through anything I added it to.  Unjury, PURE (bariatriceating.com),... have unflavored.  Really couldn't tell you about the smell - I don't smell it but I am not sensitive at all to smells.

I have added unflavored to everything - puddings, oatmeal, soup, scrambled eggs, etc
princess_raspberry
on 12/29/11 7:49 am
I've had oatmeal on the pureed stage. I used plain one minute oats. I did 1/4 cup with 1/2 cup of milk and one scoop of vanilla protein powder. I cooked the oats and milk really good to mush and then when it cooled down, I added the protein and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. It was really good! I'd go with the plain oats to avoid the additives in the little packets of flavored oats. Plain oats do have some protein, then the milk and powder gave it a lot. It was a nice change from the typical stuff I had been having.
HW 394 | SW 330 | CW 270 | GW 150
preop [64]  month 1 [32]  month 2 [10]  month 3 [18]

BWB
on 12/29/11 8:58 am
 Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat are allowed.  I can only eat one rounded tablespoon (dry-uncooked oats) with skimmed milk and blueberries.  I add Unjury protein powder and there is no tell tale smell or taste.  If you keep a jar of milk with protein powder to add after cooking it will blend in better.  
Cream of wheat made my sugar level spike so I don't eat it.  Microwave it for 2 min. on half power.

Hope you enjoy it.

FLJeepGirl
on 12/29/11 9:33 am
I tried oatmeal about a month post-op and it was one of the foods that I didn't tolerate well at first.  I eat it now once in a while - I did have it this week.  It is a nice change to your pallet up sometimes.  I mix mine with protein powder to add some to it.  I typically have eggs or yogurt for breakfast...
Keeves
on 12/29/11 7:27 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
It's true that the oatmeal itself doesn't have much protein. But I make mine with Skim Plus milk and the result is a nice portion of protein, even without adding the powder as others above suggested.

ShrinkingJoe
on 12/29/11 10:13 pm, edited 12/29/11 10:29 pm
Let me defend oatmeal for a second.

OK - So 1 3/4 cup serving of unrefined oatmeal contains 110 calories, 3 grams of fiber (12% of the RDA), and 4.5 grams of protein.  This makes it a high protein, low calorie (and low fat) whole food.

Being a whole grain with lots of fiber, your body will absorb the sugar much slower than when you eat refined carbs (like bromated, bleached white flower or corn-based processed foods) that have the same number of calories.  This fiber buffer helps you regulate your insulin and hunger levels.  You are much less likely to get a blood-sugar-crash/hunger-rebound when you eat whole foods that contain fiber along with sugar.  This is one of the big mistakes that get made with processed and fast foods.  Processed and fast foods do not contain fiber, just pure energy, so you beat the living daylights out of your pancreas when you eat them.

Oatmeal, being a whole grain, also contains lots of other things like essential amino acids, antioxidant compounds, plant lignans, beta-glucan and other compounds which don't show up on a nutrition label.

Oatmeal is extremely healthful and good for you with plenty of nutritional value.  You will not go wrong by including oatmeal in your diet post-op.
Most Active
Recent Topics