Surgery date approaching....starting to get nervous

hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 12:23 pm - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Thanks! I need all the prayers I can get :)

~Jan
Barb H.
on 1/1/12 12:13 pm - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Hi Jan! I am having my surgery the same day as you! I am actually revising from lap band to RNY so for me, this is round two.

If you are feeling too ever whelmed by all the tragedy you have had in your live recently, you always have the option of postponing it for a bit. Just know that this is an option. You certainly have had more than your share of loss and scares. I have made friends with lots of people here and find the support to be priceless. No one knows what it's like except another WL surgery person. We are a tight "club" and very supportive of each other. After my sister died 20 years ago, I went to a support group provided by Hospice. My first night there I mentioned that it felt like we were all in this club that we all become a member of sooner or later, but until you actually experience the loss of someone, you can't really know what it's like. You can have compassion, but it isn't the same. I know that these are two different issues, but both are deeply emotional and profound.

I will ask you to be friends here and you can accept if you like. And if you just want to talk, I'm a good listener.

Aloha,
Barb
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

hopes42morrow
on 1/1/12 1:29 pm - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Hi Barb! How wonderful to meet someone who will share my surgery date. How cool is that! I do know that I could postpone the surgery, but that is actually the last thing I want to do! I am so looking forward to having this opportunity to get my health back again. It has been a rough year so good riddens to 2011! Heres to new beginnings in 2012! Hospice support groups (or any support groups) are wonderful arent they? I have had my fair share of experiences with them and they were a godsend. I have lost 3 sisters so far. In 1989, my sister Marie died from heart disease at the age of 38 and my husband and I raised her two daughters. My sister Cathy died from inflammatory breast cancer in 2006 at the age of 45, and most recently in November, my eldest sister Terry died after 2 heart attacks within days of each other.  I am hopeful that this surgery and lifestyle change will be another tool to help me get my health back and get back to the Jan I used to be. Having others in the same club to walk this journey with me will be a wonderful thing!  Thanks for listening :)

My youngest son lives in Hawaii right now by the way. He is stationed at Hickam AFB. He is home now on leave until the 22nd. I actually would have been having my surgery this week, but didnt want to have it during his visit so my doctor scheduled me for the 25th instead.

Happy New Year!
Jan
hopes42morrow
on 1/1/12 12:28 pm - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
I really appreciate your responses. I know the experience is different for everyone,  and I know things dont always go perfectly for everyone but honestly, after the year I have had, I just need to hear some of the GOOD stories. I am so so ready for this but just as I am sure you all were, I am nervous. I know that I need to do this for my health though more than for any other reason. Heart disease runs very rampant in my family and has unfortunately taken many family members way too soon. I have lost 3 sisters so far to the disease ( one at the age of 38, one at 45 and the most recent, my eldest sister who was 15 years my senior, at 63)  and I know if I dont get this weight off, I wont be far behind them.  I dont want anyone to sugar coat anything, just looking for honest answers that  will show me why this drastic measure is worth it in the end.......Happy New Year Everyone

Jan
barbiieedoll
on 1/1/12 1:59 pm
Hi Jan, sorry for your losses, been there and its not fun. I just had gastric bypass 18 days ago. I was nervous (anxious) too. Even to the effect of tears streaming down my cheeks when they said they were ready for me, they said that was normal and started some sedation which calmed me down.
 There runs a history of blood clots and heart attacks on my family side, so that was a big concern and 3-4 hour surgery, will I wake, but happy to say I came through it fine, no problems, and didn't feel like I had surgery...a little sore, but not right at my stomach. Coudn't wear my bra and using a sports bra currently, but that works.  Got a little infection in the main insicion, but nothing major.
I had a friend tell me, when its your time to go, it doesn't matter where you are, a car, bus, operating table or where ever, God is in control and His timing is perfect. So you do what you have to and I will say a prayer for you....hope that helps ease your mind.
Have possitive thoughts of the outcome results, ask alot of questions, research things to know, like what happens if you don't wake, since that is a concern, so you know the precedure. i still am bugging on here asking questions...lol, still learning too.
Barbie Phillips    
hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 11:19 am - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Hi Barbie,
Thank you for sharing and for the prayers.  I really appreciate it. I couldnt agree more with your comment " when its your time to go, it doesnt matter where you are, a car, a bus, operating table or wherever, God is in control and His timing is perfect". Amen to that!

Thanks again,
Jan
Jenspunky
on 1/1/12 5:04 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

Hi Jan,

Sorry to hear about your losses.  I lost my mother a year and a half ago (she was 56), and one of my best friends from childhood died a couple weeks ago, at age 27.  I am also feeling that sort of cloud over me, and very worried about dying and leaving my son (who has just turned 9) an orphan.  Still, over the past year my health has declined so rapidly, that either way I am taking a risk.  My blood pressure started to go up just a year ago, when I was 29.  I'm not on medication for it, but it's getting close to time for that, so I have to make changes, and fast.
One of the things I did that is helping to calm my nerves is ask a lot of questions on how the doctor plans on preventing complications.  For example - I'll be on blood thinners to help prevent clots.  Things like that help reassure that the risks are minimized.
My surgery is scheduled for January 16th.  I start my liquid diet tomorrow (technically today, when I wake up).  
Hang in there!

~Jen

hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 12:15 pm - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Hi Jen,
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like we have alot in common. It is so great to have all this support and to be able to talk to people who are going through the same thing as you!
Good luck with your surgery on the 16th. That is the day that I go for all my pre-op testing. I will be praying for you to have a speedy recovery!

Thanks again,
~Jan
mlmoss77
on 1/1/12 9:03 pm - CA
RNY on 01/04/12
Hi Jan, First of all.. I too like the others feel for you and wish your heart mending. Your story is one we all hate to hear. I too have surgery coming up. Infact mine is Jan 4th just 2 days away and I am beyond nervous. I Have a 3 year old daughter who needs her mommy more than anything, but right now im not much of a mom anyways. There is so much i cannot do with her because of the weight I am. So not only am I doing this to regain my health but I am doing this to build my relationship with my daughter.

But like you, i have had a few deaths that are keeping me scared. I was married OCT 3rd 2003 and 3 months later my first husband died after having a stroke caused by highblood pressure, ( he was a big guy and we just got insurance 2 weeks prior.) he was only 23.. and ever since then i have been so afraid of blood clots and stroke.  and after having one of my old doctors tell me that he would have to put stents in to stop things from going wrong (back in 2006) i kind of got scared and gave up... he mentioned Strokes and clots and i just freeked. So now 2011 i decided i would try again and got a new dr.. and the one thing he told me was " ive worked on people bigger than you and smaller than you.. as long as I know i can do what i need to do and feel cofident in the surgery you shoudl know your in good hands"

Just talk to your doctor, tell him your fears what your feeling is valid.. I think any one who is going through this has  one way or another felt scared to death over it. If not then... man give me what she/he is having! lol 

I wish you all the best, I wish you a safe surgery, and most of all I wish you one long full life of happiness and joy. Bless you and your journey and come back and let us all know how you went in and kicked weight loss butt!!!

Michelle
hopes42morrow
on 1/2/12 12:21 pm - OH
RNY on 01/25/12
Thanks for responding Michelle and sharing your story. I am so sorry about your husband, he was so young. Thanks so much for the great advice. Know that I will be thinking of you and your upcoming surgery and will keep you in my prayers :). I look forward to hearing all about it as soon as you are able!

~ Jan
Most Active
Recent Topics