Different scale readings

vim_and_vinegar
on 1/4/12 10:17 am
Wildly fluctuating readings from scale to scale bum me out. According to my surgeon's scale I'm 226; according to my home scale I'm 223; and according to the gym scale I'm 219 carrying my heavy coat and duffel. That's a 7 pound difference! I'll just take my home scale reading and ignore the rest.

redrider
on 1/4/12 10:41 am
It can be as simple as the surface the scale is sitting on. If it's on a hard flat even surface as opposed to an uneven tile, or something with a pad under it, you will get big differences in the readings. Also, we do weigh more at at different times of day. Best bet is as you said, settle on one scale and go by it
>>>RedRider                     
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/4/12 10:44 am - OH
My scales (one is digital and one is the old-fashioned, large, moving weights across the bar kind of physician scale) are within a pound of each other and about the same as my PCP's old-fashioned scale, but my surgeon's digital scale is ALWAYS exactly three pounds higher.  A number of people have mentioned it, and they said they had it checked... so I just KNOW it is 3 pounds higher and I subtract the 3 pounds and don't stress about it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lillypond...
on 1/4/12 10:59 am
yea my doctor scale is always about 4 pounds more than my scales. so I go by my scales too
Keeves
on 1/4/12 11:02 am - Elizabeth, NJ
You're missing the point. The actual number doesn't matter. The questions you should be asking are:

What does the surgeon's scale say compared to last time?
What does the home scale say compared to last time?
What does the gym scale say compared to last time?

lillypond...
on 1/4/12 11:11 am
Never really thought about it like that, just so numbers go down on whatever scale you get on-- good point :)
Waysta
on 1/5/12 5:02 am - TX
 Exactly my thoughts....plus don't get hung up on the numbers !!

Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/12 11:24 am
 My scale is five pounds lighter than my surgeon's office.  But I don't really care. My jeans are down a size and are getting way loose. LOL.... .wooohoooooo
A. C
on 1/4/12 12:03 pm
i have a digital scale and i do NOT know what i'm doing wrong, but that bad boy varies wildly from itself - from moment to moment - i might way 10 lbs less or more every single time i step on it - or 12 or 13 or 3 or 4 pounds - ... i think i need a new scale
Keeves
on 1/4/12 7:16 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Yes. I've gone through a few scales like that. A good one doesn't have to cost a lot, but don't get the very cheapest you find.