Frustrated

kayleighs_mommy
on 1/22/12 1:30 am
Sorry folks, just need to vent here......

I am going on 5 weeks out.  I wasn't thrilled that I had only lost 14 pounds since surgery, but at least it was a loss.  Now..... since Tuesday I have gained a pound.

I was doing what the bariatrics departnent said... 45 grams of protein and 500 cals a day (this is pure protein.  No fruits, veg etc.).  Since I was having so many issues with feeling bad I added a protein shake a day (4 oz skim milk and one scoop Unjury). This brings me up to around 60 grams protein.   I am still staying under my 500 cals.

I am still feeling bad.  Lighthead when I stand for more than a minute or so.  I did go to see the nurse in bariatrics.  They did some blood pressure readings and it turns out when I stand my BP goes down and my heart rate goes up (  129/82 , 72  to 109/72, 133 ) so, I have not been walking or exercising much. (This is "normal" for me.  I tend to have this feeling happen any time I am not eating enough for a few days). I have been doing my stationary bike every other day, depending on how weak I am feeling.

So, now..... feeling bad, feeling deprived (I don't feel that way when I am losing, at least), and now I GAIN weight.... really??????

Just my little rant....
canigetthattogoplease.blogspot.com

RNY 12/20/2011

nkara
on 1/22/12 1:40 am
 500 calories is not even close to being enough and only eating protein is also not good.  My NUT suggests 65 grams of protein a day plus veggies, whole grains, dairy, etc.  You need to eat a well balanced diet and the lowest I've seen for calories was 800 a day.   I would say your body is rebelling with not getting enough calories and nutrients in and is fighting back. 
Hell I would fight you too with not getting enough in to sustain myself. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

kayleighs_mommy
on 1/22/12 1:51 am
Yep, I know what you are saying.  I feel the same way.  I have Kaiser of CO and this is what they say to do.  I have tried staying with their plan but really think I need to add even more protein as well as calories. 

They tell me I will not lose any slower because I was previously banded (it was 10 months between band removal and RNY) but heck, I lost a LOT faster with the band.  I also found with the band that I was not eating enough calories to lose.  If I ate a small scoop of ice cream a day I lost.  (not the best way, I know, but was making sure I got all my protein, water etc first).

I guess I am just going to have to add a couple more meals a day (they call for 3 meals, no snacks daily).  Maybe a second protein drink and a minnimum of 800 cals.  Maybe I will start feeling better, and hopefully lose some weight!!!
canigetthattogoplease.blogspot.com

RNY 12/20/2011

nfarris79
on 1/22/12 2:03 am - Germantown, MD
 I don't quibble with not eating fruits or veggies yet - some programs want you on a ketogenic diet where you keep your carbs between 30g-50g daily. BUT the 45g protein seems obscenely low. I don't remember what the ASMBS calculation of what you need daily (something like 1.1 times your ideal body weight divided by .9 ? Not sure about that.) but for me it tallied up to around 71g MINIMUM per day. I was told to shoot for 75-80g daily and most of the time I get around 90-100g. However, I'm 9 months out and eating around 1200cal/day. In the first 6 months, 500cal/day seems a bit low and can actually send you into starvation mode where your body will try to hold on to every calorie you take in! Up your protein & calories and you might see a better loss, as well as keeping your hair & muscles......

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

poet_kelly
on 1/22/12 2:51 am - OH
1.1 gram protein per kilogram of your ideal weight, which works out to about half a gram for each pound of ideal weight.  Unless your ideal weight is 90 pounds, you need more than 45 grams protein a day!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 1/22/12 2:49 am - OH
No wonder you feel bad, you have not been getting enough calories or enough protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kaoz789
on 1/22/12 4:46 am
 I've been gaining and loosing too since my RNY. For the most part it's a loss. So until I gain more wheight in a week than lost in the last two weeks, Im not going to worry about a pound or two higher than than the previous day. Less stress that way ;p 

Are you getting your vitamins and fiber in? I always feel better when I get my multis and B's.

Hope you feel less frustrated soon!

DisneyLover
on 1/22/12 6:00 am - WI
definately not enough calories or protein.  if you up both of those, you should start to lose.  your body is holding on to the weight because it isn't being fed.
I found once I upped my intakes the weight started to come off.

Sarah

wendydettmer
on 1/22/12 6:16 am - Rochester, NY
If your blood pressure drops when you stand you are probably dehydrated. It's the classic test. In addition to the other suggestions, I would increase your water.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

LJ1972
on 1/22/12 6:33 am - FL
pretty impossible to gain a pound of fat on 500 calories or less a day. Have you been to the bathroom? Are you retaining water? The key to getting rid of water retention is drinking more water. This is also going to help your dizziness and soem of the weakness (water intake). I'm no doctor or NUT but I'd say you need more protein as well.
Most Active
Recent Topics