Surgery 1/3 and struggling to eat....

betis
on 1/25/12 8:39 am - MA
Hello!
I had my surgery on the 3rd of Jan and was given the go ahead to start pureed foods this Tuesday but I am simply not hungry.
Today I had an ounce of greek yogurt with unflavored protein powder and almost 2 ounces of broc cheese soup pureed for dinner. I drink sip after sip of water as I am always thirsty but am not at all hungry; anyone else having this problem?
Do I just force myself to eat?
Thanks!
boilerbabe003
on 1/25/12 8:44 am
You should not force yourself but you do need to get your protein in.  Make sure that you are following your doctor's orders in how much protein you should eat per day.  The greek yogurt is packed with protein, especially if you are adding more powder, but I don't know how much is in the soup.  If you are having a hard time eating, make sure that what you do eat is really protein packed.

Good luck!!
mustangmama
on 1/25/12 9:46 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I'm having to force myself to eat, but I'm getting all of my food and liquids in...sometimes I feel nauseated when doing so, but I'm managing to keep everything down.  

My doctor progressed me to soft foods this week and even though foods are going down, I still feel this desire to vomit but don't.

sweetgirlt26
on 1/25/12 9:55 am
RNY on 01/04/12 with
hey i had surgery 1/4/12 and have been on pureed foods for about 2 weeks now. the beginning steps of eating pureed foods is the hardest but your body will get use to it. I also struggled getting food down but now i get a bit more then when i started down
wish you all the best
Mandi_1-3-12
on 1/25/12 10:40 am
Hi I had my surgery on the 3rd too!  I started soft foods today and found that I could eat 2 tablespoons of soft zucchini with this protein cheese stuff on top.  Did not get the full amount of protein in to day because I just can't eat that much!  I can drink the protein shakes, no problem, but it's the real food that keeps me from wanting any more.  Tomorrow I'm going to make a protein shake that has protein powder (23g protein), Greek yogurt (23g), and instead of water I'll use Soy
Slender soy milk (9g)....that is 55 grams just in the morning.  Then I'll try and eat some soft foods, but I know it will be hard to eat more than a couple tablespoons.  Try and get a lot of protein in the shakes in the morning.  :)  Good luck!
missjann
on 1/25/12 12:24 pm
Just keep at it. Your body needs protein.  I drank protein chai drinks every
day (and still do at just over a year out). I lived on fat-free refried beans
and Wendy's chili for several months. I was very slow to tolerate eggs
and meats and still do lots of beans and some ground meats, but nothing
that isn't ground.  Find what works for you and do that. I still don't get hungry
much and have some days where I mostly drink protein drinks and eat
Greek yogurt.  Also try Greek yogurt with sugar-free jello instant pudding
mix (dry) added and a bit of milk or soy milk to thin it down a little. It's
soooo good. My faves are cheesecake, pistachio, banana and lemon.
I add a little sliced banana or "no-sugar-added" cherry pie filling to the top.
That's usually my breakfast every day now in the later morning after my
protein chai.  Some days I add 2 oz. of Kashi cereal for a granola crunch.
So yes, keep trying food and if something doesn't work, try it again in
a few weeks.  I hit a magic place at 5-6 months and started to tolerate
most foods and meats by then, but I still do what feels best on my pouch
and I have about 10 favorites I eat over and over.  Good luck!
    Jan

Most Active
Recent Topics