Could this be Dehydration?

xtine
on 1/25/12 1:08 pm, edited 1/25/12 1:08 am - San Jose, CA
For the past couple of days I have been extremely exhausted, headaches at random, very dry mouth and very irritable. Could I be dehydrated? I try so hard to keep up on my water but don't think I am drinking as much as I should be since having a pretty bad cold last week. Any ideas? And if I am dehydrated how to I catch back up on my water?

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

Jenspunky
on 1/25/12 1:41 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

How much are you urinating, and is it a dark color?

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

xtine
on 1/25/12 1:43 pm - San Jose, CA
Not much the past few days, and it is some times dark and sometimes neon yellow.

Jenspunky
on 1/25/12 2:15 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

Definitely a good idea to call your surgeon's office and let them know your symptoms. 
I went to the ER earlier tonight to check for dehydration just to be safe.  While we waited for bloodwork I got a nice big bag of IV fluids and some ice chips (I love those hospital ice chips.  I need to find myself a machine that can make those!)  Anyway... it's better to be safe than sorry.  A woman I know died 6 months after RNY.  She was doing really good, had lost 100 pds, and collapsed in her backyard.  The paramedics tried for an hour to revive her.  It turned out to be an electrolyte imbalance (I think it was her potassium, which lead to irregular heart rhythm).  
I have a 9 year old son to think about, so I wasn't going to take any chances.  
Be safe!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

poet_kelly
on 1/25/12 2:27 pm - OH
Are you able to keep down fluids?  Can you really push them now?  Make sure you get at least 64 ounces in per day, starting now?

If so, do that. Try to get more than 64 ounces, if you can, for a few days.

If not, go to the ER.  You'll need IV fluids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Keeves
on 1/25/12 8:29 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Any color other than pale yellow is a warning sign. I'm no doctor either, but a couple of days of dark or neon would totally make me panic. Please check it out!

xtine
on 1/26/12 1:59 pm - San Jose, CA
I went to the ER this morning and they said that I was indeed dehydrated and also that they didn't like my blood sugar levels so I am back on my Metformin. Thanks for all the help and replies.

Keeves
on 1/26/12 7:19 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Glad to hear it! Hope you're feeling better! Have a great weekend!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics