Vitamins, Optisource or Traditional??

labmom97
on 2/11/12 12:51 pm - Romeoville, IL
I am nearly 8 weeks out from Surgery and have been on Optisource since 2 weeks before surgery, Dec 19th. My Walgreen's is not carrying Optisource any longer and my surgeon gave me the option to take instead of optisource the following:

2 chew-ables multivitamins with iron
500 Micrograms of sub-lingual vitamin B12
1500-2000 Milligrams calcium citrate with Vitamin D

Does anyone have a preference on which ones to take that I could get at the local Walgreens/Walmart?? 
~Jill        
poet_kelly
on 2/11/12 1:07 pm - OH
What your surgeon is suggesting instead of Optisource is significantly better than Optisource.

To get the same amount of nutrition using Optisource, you would have to take EIGHT Optisouce a day, PLUT 1500 mg calcium citrate (Optisource has calcium carbonate which we can't absorb after RNY) PLUS a sublingual B12.  Why take eight Optisource plus all that other stuff when you can just take two good adult multis (like Centrum) plus the other stuff?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

labmom97
on 2/11/12 1:27 pm - Romeoville, IL
Thanks Kelly!! Do I need to stay with chewables at 8 weeks out? I take my regular med's (pills) with no problems at all.  I know I need to worry about the absorning the vitamins but I am fine just taking pills. Also do I have to split it up at all?? Going to get it all at walmart tomorrow.
~Jill        
poet_kelly
on 2/11/12 1:33 pm - OH
You'll absorb the vitamin fine if you get ones you swallow.  It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Note that you won't find chewable calcium citrate at most stores, only calcium carbonate, so if you want chewable citrate you would probably need to order it online.  but you can buy generic calcium citrate tablets any place that sells vitamins.  Just know they will be pretty big pills.  But you can break them up if you want to.

Now, the B12 does need to be sublingual, not one you swallow.

And yeah, you'll need to split them up when you take them.  We can only absorb about 500 mg calcium at a time.  You can do something like this:

Breakfast - multi, 500 mg calcium, B12
Lunch 500 mg calcium
Dinner multi, 500 mg calcium

If you need iron, you can take that at bedtime.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle E.
on 2/11/12 8:15 pm
Walmart.. I buy Dry D3, calcium citrate, vit c, centrum multi, liquid b12, b complex,

As long as you are getting the right form and amounts, then walmart will save you some bucks

Michelle
labmom97
on 2/12/12 12:31 am, edited 2/12/12 12:33 am - Romeoville, IL
Thanks Michelle, What is the Dry D3?? And the Centrum Multi is it the womans version or ?? They have so many choices.  Also why take the Liquid B12 & the B complex?? What is the difference??
~Jill        
poet_kelly
on 2/12/12 1:07 am - OH
Dry D3 means not in oil.  When D3 is in oil, we don't absorb it as well because we malabsorb fats.

B12 contains only vitamin B12, while a B complex contains a variety of B vitamins.

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/12 9:17 pm
 How far post op were you when you stopped taking chewable vitamins? 
labmom97
on 2/12/12 12:30 am - Romeoville, IL
The only chewable I still take is my Vitamin Optisource. But I have been taking my regular med's (pills) since 4 days after surgery being they were small enough.
~Jill        
Lisa S.
on 2/12/12 1:10 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
Good morning. I am pre-op. I am taking the following:
Chewable multi w/iron (CVS Brand-look for buy 1 get 1 free, $5.99)
Calcium citrate + D 1500mg per day (wal-mart brand, I think about $8 for 200 caplets. I put them in water to dissolve, then drink it down)
Sublingual B-12 (Nature's Bounty @ CVS buy 1 get 1 free, about $7 per bottle 100 pills)

Puritan.com is another place to get vitamins and their prices are amazing.

Good luck!!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 401 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 391 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 294 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 206 views