Psych eval question

BrennaRawks
on 2/14/12 7:02 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
So far, I've had my cardiac consult (cleared), 1st RD (2nd tomorrow), and psych eval done. I've got a sinking feeling that I won't be cleared for psych. Anyone been through that? Generally, what's next if I did fail?
Crystal0823
on 2/14/12 7:13 am
 My psych eval was vey quick. Why did I want surgery, what did I expect from the surgery. Do I know the risks, stuff along those lines. If you don't pass I think you will have to set up apps and work through whatever it is you have to work thru with the psych in order to get approvals. 

Calliou
on 2/14/12 7:24 am
RNY on 03/27/12
Oh... my psych eval was just a bumnch of questions about my surgery... what I thought it would be, if I thought I could follow through, and about my past history.... and my childhood. Just general stuff... I'm sure you'll do fine... ;)
Brittany M.
on 2/14/12 8:02 am
I "failed" my psych consult.  I have no idea why.  I have a suspicion the guy is just a jerk who enjoys messing with people.  Seriously.  I was not the only patient who had issues with him.  Support group was full of stories of this jerk.

Anyway, all I had to do was wait a couple months and then go in and talk to him again.  He cleared me the second time (as he did with everyone else he initially "failed").  
poet_kelly
on 2/14/12 8:08 am - OH
His report did not say why you failed?  That's very odd.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SarinaHaas
on 2/14/12 8:50 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
When I had my eval, the lady said that it wasn't a pass/fail thing. That if there were concerns, they would not be able to immediately recommend you for surgery, but with proof you were following up on the issues of concern, the recommendation would be made. But, as with everything, I'm sure different programs operate in different ways! Mine was super short, simple & sweet. No sweat at all. Good luck!
Amy R.
on 2/14/12 9:02 am
Several of us responded to a very similar question yesterday, maybe looking through that thread will help you.  Here is the link:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4501856/psychiatric-ev aluation/#37260421

Best of luck to you in your journey=)
BrennaRawks
on 2/14/12 9:06 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
My eval was an hour long and she didn't ask a thing about surgery. It was all about my mental health history. I seriously wish I had lied. In the paperwork I had to fill out beforehand, I told the truth; that I had a horribly abusive childhood, and did 4 years of court-ordered therapy in my early 20s. Now she wants my records from both places I went to for treatment and said flat out that she won't make a decision on me until she sees my history. There's no way she'll clear me once she sees my treatment history, despite the fact that I've been fine since 2006.
inspirationseeker
on 2/14/12 9:32 am - CA
RNY on 02/02/12
Shoot my psyhc basically told me that I had no other option? I have been fighting being overweight all my life and if i plan on living to see my grand daughter grow up I would HAVE to lose weight and that the surgery would be my answer.  Its all about getting healthy and living longer lives

poet_kelly
on 2/14/12 10:10 am - OH
Why do you think she won't clear you based on your history, if you've been fine for six years?  Lots of WLS patients have histories of abuse or mental health problems.  Geez, if I got cleared with my history, I imagine anyone could get cleared if they had dealt with their issues!  I have a history of multiple suicide attempts, psychiatric hospitalizations, etc.  But at the time I had surgery, I had not been hospitalized for two years, it had been many years since my last suicide attempt, I was in therapy, I was stable on medication and seeing my psychiatrist regularly, all that good stuff.

Now, if you don't want to share your prior records with the person that did your psych eval, you have the choice of going to someone else for a psych eval.  Or if the person you saw does not clear you, you have the option of getting a second opinion.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 463 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views