Low iron, upset tummy

ElleBW
on 2/16/12 11:03 am - WA
Just had my first round of labs done and my iron level is low. I've been taking Celebrate supplements, but my doctor wants me to take 160 mg and told me the kind you find at Costco is okay. Even after taking them with a shake AND crackers, it feels like it is burning a hole in my stomach! The doctor suggested dividing up the doses, but I'm wondering if any one has any additional suggestions. My first meal after taking my supplement hours later, had me bent over in pain. Thank you Papaya enzyme pills! Thanks all!

Elle

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

poet_kelly
on 2/16/12 11:51 am - OH
What kind of iron is it?  Ferrous sulfate?  If so, that commonly causes an upset tummy and constipation.  Try carbonyl iron.  It's absorbed better, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ElleBW
on 2/16/12 1:21 pm - WA
Of course it is! Have been doing carbonyl until my doctor suggested the other and I had to learn the hard way. I will try that in the morning tomorrow, just not excited about having to take more pills. The bad ones, at least, are small.

Thanks Kelly!
rbb825
on 3/9/12 5:00 pm - Suffern, NY
I have 2 things to suggest- first thing - stop the iron that you are taking NOW!!!!  Are you on a PPI?  Nexium, protonix, prevacid or prilosec?  if you feel like you have a burning hole in your stomach you could have an ulcer and you need to get that checked out - I doubt that would be from the iron but some irons are harsher than others and can irritate the pouch.  I recommend you get to a gastroenterologist  and have an Endoscopy to make sure you dont' have an ulcer - they can do as  biopsy to make sure you don't have the bacteria HPylori because for this bacteria, you need antibiotics in addition to PPI's.  It is called a Prevpac and has 2 antibiotics and Prevacid.  It is very important if you have it, to take as directed.  If the biopsy is negative but you do have an ulcer, they will give carafate to coat the pouch and a PPI to reduce the acid to help the ulcer heal

If you dont' have an ulcer at all - then you should still make sure you are taking a PPI to make sure you are letting the pouch calm down and watch what foods you eat.

As far as the iron - if you go to vitalady.com she has what is called Tender iron - it is carbonyl iron with vitamin C in the capsules - it is highly absorbable and easy on the stomach - no stomach upset - I have a terrible stomach and it doesnt' bother me and I take 4 of them at a time.  If you were told to take 160mg then you would need to take 3 of them.  Make sure you aren't taking them within 2-4 hours of any calcium or thyroid medication so this includes dairy - no shakes with them - it decreases the absorbtion.

I do hope this helps you some and feel better soon.  Let me know how things go

Most Active
Recent Topics