A question please

RobinAment
on 2/19/12 10:30 am - FL
 Does anyone take Women's One A Day vitamins? I'm confused on the whole coated subject. My dr said not to take those because they are coated. Does anyone know what's the problem with them being coated? Then my sister had RNY and her Dr told her to take those very ones. So it leaves me confused. I cannot stomach my chewable vitamins (centrum) and I'm feeling so sick and need a vitamin I can take that's not chewable abd preferably not going to cost me an arm and a leg. Money us tight these days. I have 3 kids to clothe and feed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Robin
Zeigled
on 2/19/12 10:36 am - Parkton, MD
I haven't had any problems with the women's one a day's - my blood work comes back fine - except for vit D.  I starting on extra Vit D.
HW 357 SW 341   

RobinAment
on 2/19/12 10:45 am - FL
Thx for replying :) I'm just wondering why my dr had said not to take coated vitamins. I know alot of people take the women's one a day and they are coated. Guess I just need to call and ask exactly why. Was just seeing if any of you knew what the reason would be. I just need to get something and soon because I'm tired if feeling sick and weak. I have kids to take care if and it's been so hard lately feeling this way. I do take my b12 daily though. 
LJ1972
on 2/19/12 11:00 am - FL
ask about injectable B12... it made a world of difference for me in regards to the fatigue I was feeling. Jennifer can help you with it

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

JudiJudi T
on 2/19/12 11:52 am

about the coating:

Reduced Medication EffectivenessThe shorter intestinal length after gastric bypass or duodenal switch surgery can make extended-release drug preparations less effective. Some extended-release drugs include antidepressants (Wellbutrin XL), anxiolytics and sleep medications (Xanax XR), and anti-hypertensives (Toprol XL, Verapamil XL). Because these formulations are intended to be absorbed over 2-12 hours, the pills may pass through the gastrointestinal tract before absorption is complete.

This same principle also applies to delayed-release and enteric- or film-coated pills, which are coated with a material that prevents the medication from being released until the pill moves through the stomach to the small intestine. (Sometimes the abbreviation “EC” is added to the name of a drug to indicate that it is enteric-coated.) Immediate-release dosage forms should be substituted, although they may need to be taken more often. 

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/19/12 12:22 pm - OH
Various drugs (and, apparently some vitamins as well, although this is the first I have head about vitamins) have different kinds of coatings depending on where in the body the manufacturer wants the coating to break down.  Some are designed to get broken down by the acids, etc in the stomach (which we don't have in our pouches), others a designed to break down in the upper portion of the nesting, and many are designed not to break down until they reach the lower portion of the intestine.  The latter ones are not a problem for us, but the first two can be problematic of the protective coating doesn't break down sufficiently to allow us to absorb enough of the medication.

As I said, though, I have need heard of any concern about the coating on vitamins.  My surgeon indicated that she preferred that we take chewables, but that taking regular Centrum is also ok.  I normally take Centrum chewables, but I also have both some regular Centrum and some regular One A Day vitamins in my cabinet and they appear to have the same kind of coating...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

RobinAment
on 2/19/12 12:56 pm - FL
 Thanks for all the replies! I need to decide which I should go with. The Centrum chewables are def out though. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 429 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 304 views