In need of some advice!

desireelynn
on 2/29/12 9:56 am
RNY on 06/26/12

Okay so today I had my last preop appointment with my surgeron, my surgery is March 13th :) I am overly thrilled about that but I am a little bummed out because he said that after im under they are going to send a scope down and make sure my bile ducts do not have any gallstones in them and if they do they wont be able to do my weight loss surgery right then and there :( I am having my gallbladder out at the same time but I guess if there are anything in my ducts I wont have weight loss surgery that day. Back in December I went to the ER where they did an ultrasound and found out that I had like 4 gallstones in my gallbladder...I could of swore and maybe I am wrong but I thought the ER dr told me that my ducts were clear and at the time i didnt even think to ask "what are you talking about". Anyways I am wondering does ANYONE know if you can see if ur ducts are clear thru an ultrasound...I know I should be bummed and I should be hoping for the best but its a bit hard. My surgeon even told me that the chances for gallstones being in my ducts are very slim :( any advice would be awesome.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE~

Tessie W.
on 2/29/12 10:35 am
You can pass one at anytime.  But I wouldn't worry a lot because you would probably be in a lot of pain.  You don't want them to do anything that would cause you problems in the long run - It's good you have a doc that is on top of things!  Good luck!

desireelynn
on 2/29/12 10:42 am
RNY on 06/26/12
Yes very true. I believe he is just doing the scope to be sure. He said its very rare that I would have anything stuck because he said id probably would of already needed emergency gallbladder surgery but im just hoping in praying id hate to start the surgery and NOT be able to get my RNY
Dravens_Mommy
on 2/29/12 12:29 pm - VA
I just wanted to say that I also have several gall stones in my gall bladder (at 21 years old?!?!?!) so I'm guessing they will do the same thing with me. I hope everything works out for you!!
bubbylucy
on 2/29/12 11:28 pm - Raleigh, NC
This is very normal. I did not have mine at the same time, but when they do a laproscopic cholesyctectomy (remove your gallbladder) they do an intra operative cholangiogram, which is what looks at you common bile duct to be sure there are no stones lodged there. It is especially important before a RNY because once they bypass some of you small intestines it makes it impossible to do the procedure to remove those stones later. The ERCP, which is done to remove the stones in your duct is done through the common bile duct which opens into you small intestines which you will no longer have attached after the RNY.
You should be at ease your surgeon is doing the right thing.

Good Luck
Audra

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 70 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 341 views