How food tastes to you--post-op

artroxy blue
on 3/8/12 6:59 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Hi all!

Just curious how food tastes to you now that you're on the other side? Do things that you once hated taste awesomesauce? Foods you loved turn your stomach? Found some new foods that tickle your tastebuds? I want to know what's in store ;)

Thanks!
happy_baker
on 3/8/12 7:03 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Things taste about the same, generally speaking.

Artificial flavors taste more artifical.  Fruity gum tastes awful--way too sweet. 
I can't stand the smell of eggs cooking (but pre-op, I LOVED eggs)

And this isn't a taste thing, but if I take a bite of something, and it's delicious but maybe not the best nutritionally, I don't feel compelled to eat it just because it's there.  Before, it would be super easy to just keep eating something, just because it tasted good. Now, taste isn't really the most important thing. I only have so much room, so I don't want to waste it on crap food and risk not meeting my protein quota. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
imgettingfit
on 3/8/12 7:36 am - Millersville, MD

My whole mouth feels different since the surgery...kind of metallic.  I keep sugar free  mints with me when I'm out because I sense my breath stinks.

I'm sick of sweet protein drinks and crave more spicy foods.  Using salsa at nearly every meal, even in my egg whites.

Missing my morning coffee, big time.  Somehow, decaf tea just ain't cutting it.

Height: 5'6" SW: 234 

artroxy blue
on 3/8/12 8:31 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 No decaf coffee? Boo...

It's been hard to move away from caffeine, but I'm getting used to decaf. 
poet_kelly
on 3/8/12 7:42 am - OH
It's gonna be different for everybody.  For me, initially, stuff tasted much much sweeter than it used to.  Like, sugar free pudding tasted so sweet it made me want to puke.  Yogurt that used to taste a little bit sweet to me, suddenly tasted as sweet as, I don't know, something like icing.  Really, really sweet.

That went away after a while.  Sweet stuff tastes normal to me now, no longer makes me nauseous.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sunnygurl
on 3/8/12 8:07 am - VA
RNY on 02/28/12
The same thing happened to me after surgery....  Sugar Free puddings...  tasted much sweeter after sugery than before....  and same with the yogurts....  But milk sure taste great...  I'm 10 days post op and just love the taste of milk...  thank goodness...  it's an extra way of getting protein in... 

Kim S.
on 3/8/12 8:24 am - Helena, AL
Yep-yogurt and pudding were too sweet right after, but that passed.  I HATED sushi before surgery-now, can't get enough of it.  I also hated bloody mary's but now I like them (bad example, didn't have one until after the 1st year!)

I also used to like egg salad, but now can't even think about eating it.
Everyone is different...but I'll bet you will have some tastes that change!

mirlyn2012
on 3/8/12 9:15 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
I used to love hummus but so far the taste and texture is lost on me. I agree with happy baker that artificial flavors taste more artificial. I can't handle protein mixed with milk yet.

The up side is I eat such a small volume that I can eat the same thing a few meals straight and not get tired of it.
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
BWB
on 3/8/12 10:15 pm
  Immediately after surgery I didn't have much "taste" at all.  I was a little worried because we have a B & B.  By now it has returned and no changes actually.

artroxy blue
on 3/9/12 8:50 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks everyone! I know everyone has different experiences, but I wanted to know from those who have been in the trenches. ;) It helps me to not be surprised when I go through something...
Most Active
Recent Topics