DECAF OR NOT?

Natali1983
on 3/9/12 8:53 am - miramar, FL
RNY on 02/28/12
BOUGHT A BUNCH OF INSTANT COFEE MIXES TODAY N DIDNT EVEN NOTICE...ARE RNY'S SUPPOSED TO HAVE DECAF OR IS CAFFEINE OK?
Natali

Wanda K.
on 3/9/12 8:56 am - Hope Mills, NC
RNY on 04/09/12
I think I remeber being told to only drink decaf because the caffeine is a natural diuretic and could cause you to become dehydrated.  Not sure if this is so but I know I just changed to decaf french vanilla and hazelnut coffee.  Sure doesn't taste the same, especially with sugar free creamer but I will get used to it.  Good luck. 

Wanda 

HW: 282, SW: 244.4, CW: 211, GW: 140   

artroxy blue
on 3/9/12 9:01 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I've been given the OK for 1 8oz. Cup of regular coffee, and the rest of the day is decaf. 
Natali1983
on 3/9/12 9:04 am - miramar, FL
RNY on 02/28/12
THANKS GUYS,,,,YES 1 CUP IS ENOUGH FOR ME
Natali

MNJourney
on 3/9/12 9:08 am
My nutritionist cleared me for coffee at my two week appointment. Which is good... Cuz that is the ONE thing I would have difficulty not having. It's in my blood.

I was drinking at least one 12 cup pot of coffee a day when i started this journey. I have a 12 cup thermal carafe in my office and I would drain it dry every day and then hit up the coffee pots in the break room. The first behavior my nut addressed was my serious caffeine overload.

Now, I limit myself to one 16 oz thermos of coffee (black) and when that's gone it's water only for me.

When I'm out and about width my family or friends I will have a tall sim latte, leaded or unleaded, depending on the time of day.

HW:317 SW:255 CW:147

poet_kelly
on 3/9/12 9:27 am - OH
There is not an "official" right answer to this.  Some people think caffeine is fine, some think it should be avoided at all costs.

My personal opinion is that it is generally OK in moderation.  It used to be believed that it made you lose a lot of water so could lead to dehydration but recent research shows that not to be the case.  It can aggrevate an ulcer, if you have one, so people with ulcers should skip it, I think.  It can interfere to a small degree with the absorption of calcium but as long as you are taking the calcium citrate you should be taking, the caffeine should cause a problem, especially if you drink it in moderation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/12 9:31 am
 I went from drinking a pot a day to just one sometimes two cups a day. Two weeks before surgery and up to four weeks after surgery I just had decaf coffee. I now have regular coffee all the time, but still limited to two cups or less a day. 
Country_Girl_Annie
on 3/9/12 9:41 am
RNY on 01/30/12
My surgeon is very strict on caffeine. No coffee or tea at all, not even decaf. I''m 6 weeks out now. Not sure when that restriction will be lifted.
HW 270  /  SW 256  / CW 212

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views