Has anyone else felt this way.

undergoingchange
on 3/12/12 6:09 am
I don't know what is going on with me lately.

I never experienced the mood swings or emotioinal turmoil others describe having after surgery.  (I am almost 11 weeks out) But the last couple of weeks everthing (and everyone) seems to tick me off.

This is not like me.

OK granted in the last two weeks my daughter had to have her gall bladder taken out (after being sick for 2 weeks and ending up in the hospital on a Sunday afternoon) and then wound up back in the hospital the next week where we spent 23 1/2 hours in the ER before finally getting a room.

I have had a lot going on since my surgery (And even before).  My mom died suddenly in early Nov.  My surgery was in late Dec., my daughter had oral surgery in Jan, then began having problems with her gall bladder in Feb., gall bladder removed in March and then back to hospital.  She is home now.

If I eat something that is good I get ticked off because I can eat so little of it.  This doesn't make much sense since I had this surgery so I could lose weight and get healthy.  If I can't eat something because it doesn't sit well I get ticked off. I get ticked off because I can't think of anything I want to eat. 

This is my question.  Has anyone else gone through this? Do you think it is all the hormones being released? Is it that I am finally beginning to grieve over my mother's death?  Something else or all of the above.

Thank you for listening.

You all have taught me so much and you are always there when I log on.

poet_kelly
on 3/12/12 6:20 am - OH
My guess would be that it's a combination of the hormones, the stress, the grief, and just getting used to a new way of eating.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kim S.
on 3/12/12 6:30 am - Helena, AL
I concur with Kelly-all of the above.

Give your self permission to feel your feelings.....it is part of the process of WLS and grieving.

Hugs-Kim

sweet-tart2012
on 3/12/12 6:28 am - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
You've gone through alot emotionally.  Cut yourself some slack.  From my personal experience, I would say you're grieving for your mom and your daughter has thrown you for a loop also.  You've got alot going on right now!  I haven't experienced the emotional roller coaster ride after the operation so can't comment on that.  When my sons died I was mad at the world.  It was easier than grieving for them.  (By the way, anger is on of the things you have to go through when someone dies.)  Your daughter's bout with sickness more than likely scared the crap out of you.  What if something happened to her?!!  AND you have to deal with food restrictions. 
Bless you.  You are having a hard time.  We are here for you!

jazzycatz
on 3/12/12 6:30 am - Joppa, MD
Wow you have had a lot going on.  Hugs. 

As I tell everyone freely, I was menopausal and had the estrogen ramped up because of the fat burning.  And I didn't really hit "crazy" until I was just about 3 months out.  So at 11 weeks, to me you are right on schedule. 

If you don't feel that you have grieved your mother's passing then it certainly could be related.  All the extra hormones won't make that any easier.  I am sorry.  And I am sorry about your loss.  It's very hard to lose either of your parents.   I still miss both of mine and it's been over a decade now. 

But you will also mourn food on this journey and that's ok. Because it is a loss of something that was there to comfort you.  If you used to turn to your Mom for support and have lost her as well as the comfort of food AND then have your daughter in the hospital.  That's a lot to take.  Having so much going on can also distract you from what's going on with you.  Now those distractions slow down and there you are...just you and the surgery. 

I don't know if this will help at all.  But I needed someone to point out to me that I would mourn food and that is was ok. 

Take care of yourself and you will be all right.  Consider therapy if you are not already going.  If you can find  one who knows a bit about WLS it is a double bonus. 

ladyhoneybee6
on 3/12/12 6:30 am
RNY on 01/30/12
Iam experiencing the same moodswing iam so tired of grieving the lost of food.i hope things get better for me and you
Jennifer M.
on 3/12/12 6:33 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 My family has been in constant crisis for as long as I can remember.  I have two disabled step-children--one who is doing a pretty good job of caring for herself, and one who is always on the verge of doing something incredibly stupid.  The difficult one has been especially difficult lately.

My niece died a couple of weeks ago from an incurable degenerative disease and we had her funeral on Sunday.

Im a little over three weeks' out from surgery, and I'm no where near where I need to be for protein or vitamins.  My office has been having technology problems and I just want to sleep all day (but I can't actually fall asleep).  I can tell you that I have been incredibly short tempered.  I've been taking ativan when things are at their worst, but it's really, really hard.  

undergoingchange
on 3/12/12 7:05 am
My daughter has Spina Bifida and hydrocephalus. I forgot to mention that the two surgeries I mentioned were 21 and 22 for her.  22 surgeries in 24 years.

I am so sorry you are having such a tough time too.

Keep working at it.  The intake does improve.

undergoingchange
on 3/12/12 7:07 am
Gee everyone. Thanks.

I am a nurse who has worked in long term care so I understand the greif process.

The thing is, I never thought about the fact that I was greiving the foods I no longer eat and my old destructive eating habits.

God bless you all.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/12 8:33 am - waukesha, WI
At 10 weeks............I was a bitter ***** just in time for xmas.  And, I was not going through anything like you are.