Sat in on my first WLS psych eval

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/15/12 5:46 am - OH
It was very interesting.  The psychologist I was with is MUCH more personable than they guy who did mine and really seems concerned that people be psychologically ready to have this surgery and be successful, so I was glad to see that.  I was not surprised by any of the content of the evaluation or the info he puts in his written evaluation, but I was surpised to find out that he does evals for RNY, sleeve, and lap band.  (I was not aware that folks needed a psych eval before a lap band and ti never came up in the interview process.)

The best part was having the chance to just talk to him before and after the two evaluations we did.  He was really interested in hearing about my perspective, concerns, ideas as someone who has actually had the surgery and is maintaining the loss almost 5 years later.  It was very pleasant and he asked some really good questions, so I know that he really wants to understand as much as he can about post-op life andf really wants to help people be successful.

Next week, I am scheduled to do one evaluation that he will be the one sitting in on.  I am SO excited to have this opportunity even if I will just be an adjunct when he gets too busy!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amaara
on 3/15/12 5:53 am
That is excellent! It has to feel wonderful to be achieving your goal like this, ****rogirl!

~~Amaara
L. Matteson
on 3/15/12 5:59 am
RNY on 07/02/12
That is awesome! I was thinking about going that route when I finish school. It will be a while for me though, because I am still working on my BA! lol

Congrats!!! 

shasta101
on 3/15/12 6:05 am
RNY on 03/20/12
Thats great! I know you will be awesome when you start.

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/12 6:26 am
It's awesome that this guy takes it seriously and considers your experiences beneficial!  It would have stunk if he didn't live up to your expecatations of what you'd hope a psychologist doing these evaluations would do.  You can feel good that you'll be helping others along in this journey...

tori
KittenLove
on 3/15/12 6:40 am - Around Knoxville, TN
OMG, you are so the right person for this!

Jealous here -- would LOVE to work in bariatrics!

Be happy. 

TamaraL
on 3/15/12 10:33 am
Lora,

At my clinic all surgeries including lap band, sleeve, and RNY have to have the psych eval.  With the lap band if your head is not in the game you can fell from the first.  They want to make sure that you understand the ups and downs that you can get after any surgery and being prepared for the adjustments and losing slow.

I think you will do great with the evaluations.  Just keep your mind open to all surgeries and remember you have to be supportive of whatever surgery they have chosen even if you don't agree

Tamara

Most Active
Recent Topics