My Journey With Elevated Liver Enzymes 2 Years Post-Op

gbsinsatx
on 3/28/12 12:15 pm - San Antonio, TX
This is my latest diagnosis: Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, often abbreviated PBC, is an autoimmune disease of the liver marked by the slow progressive destruction of the small bile ducts (bile canaliculi) within the liver. When these ducts are damaged, bile builds up in the liver (cholestasis) and over time damages the tissue. This can lead to scarring, fibrosis and cirrhosis. In addition to bile duct and liver damage, people with primary biliary cirrhosis are likely to have other metabolic or immune system disorders, including thyroid problems and rheumatoid arthritis (I have both).
Treatment: Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA). Also known as ursodiol (Actigall, Urso), UDCA is a bile acid that helps move bile through your liver. Although UDCA doesn't cure primary biliary cirrhosis, it may prolong life if started early in the disease and is commonly considered the first line of therapy.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

april89love
on 3/28/12 12:30 pm - NC
Praying this helps you! Sorry you are going through this.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

rhondanewme
on 3/28/12 12:51 pm - Grantsboro, NC
At least now you have a diagnosis. Hopefully this medication will be a big help. I am so sorry you are having to deal with all this and hope you start to feel great improvement soon.
exohexoh
on 3/28/12 1:06 pm - West Chester, PA
 sorry to hear this! 

how does the disease develop? do they think its related to your rny?

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

gbsinsatx
on 3/28/12 1:19 pm, edited 3/28/12 1:21 am - San Antonio, TX
No known cause. It falls under the ever elusive autoimmune disorder category. It is not related to RNY.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Nycm
on 3/28/12 1:21 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
My surgeon starts all patients that still have a gallbladder on Actigall at one month post RNY. I was wondering if it was really necessary since I see very few people post about it here. I will def be taking those pills.

So sorry you are suffering through this. Hugs to you.

Christine

seattledeb
on 3/28/12 4:09 pm
 It's always good to get the diagnosis. 
It seems like autoimmune  disease's are taking over the world.
I hope the actigal helps. 
Your Rny may not have caused it but by being a smaller weight it should help you survive it better.
Doctors focus on your disease instead of "You need to lose weight". Also there are more options.

I hope you feel better soon.
Deb T.

rbb825
on 3/28/12 7:13 pm - Suffern, NY
I know what you mean.  I had a bone marrow biopsy recently and it can back saying I have some type of autimmune disorder but know one knows what type.  For years they have been testing my ANA thinking I have lupus or other similar things  or RF factor but they keep coming back negative.  Recently I saw a rheumatologist who is trying to diagnosing other types of inflamatory arthtritis but the day I had my blood work, my sedrate and CRP were normal - every other time they for years they have been high but that time they were normal so he said it cant' be - I realize afterwards that I had a steroid shots about 5 days prior, so I am thinking it might have suppressed my levels - so I got a new script to get my levels rechecked.  I need to find out what is going on - my pain is unbearable in all my joints but my hips are the worst ever since the bone marrow biopsy - I think it triggered some type of reaction in my body that it didnt' like being bothered that way and it is rebelling in strange ways.

ladyhoneybee6
on 3/28/12 7:53 pm
RNY on 01/30/12
Iam so sorry you have to go through this my prays go out to you.be strong and stay postive.

Infogal
on 3/29/12 6:18 am
I developed Cholestasis during my last 3 pregnancies ( last pregnancy was almost 11 yrs ago), my liver levels still come back slightly elevated. When i talked it over w/ my surgeon during my 6 month visit he said not to worry about it because cholestasis was caused by pregnancy hormones . I'll continue to moniter my levels, but i still worry every time the palms of my hands itch like crazy ( one of my symptoms of cholestasis). I would really appreciate it if you coul answer my question (Don't need to if it's to personal). Besides high liver levels what other symptoms did u have?
Infogal