First attempt at fast food

km0711
on 3/31/12 12:30 pm - GA
RNY on 03/14/12
I took the kids to the mall today and had my 1st post op meeting with the dreaded food court. I sort of just grazed off my kids plates because I didn't think I would finish a whole anything on my own and I was right. I picked Wendy's since they have some soft options. I was able to fully tolerate 2 nuggets, 4 fries, and 2 spoons of chili. I did order myself a small lemonade but I only had maybe a quarter of the cup and the rest went to the kids. Let me tell you I was soooo stuffed you would have thought I had a full Thanksgiving dinner lol. Thankfully I had no pains, no problems and of course the endless walking around the mall helped burn some of those calories right off. And yes, I already had my protein and vitamin requirements for the day before we got there.

On the side note....I'm already down 24lbs and I can feel it. My clothes are fitting better and I can almost fit 1 shoe size smaller even my wedding ring is starting to fall off. Feels great to be on this downward spiral.

slashes
on 3/31/12 12:33 pm
Glad you were able to handle it - it is hard when you have kids and need to feed them quickly. I had my first fast food recently as well - I wrote about it on my blog here - I had fast food, I also chose Wendy's as my option too and went with the chili everyone always talks about. I have yet to eat and french fries and they were always my favorites. I miss fries.....

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/12 12:40 pm - OH
After not eating anything fried for a long time, I found that when I finally "stole" a French fry off of someone else's plate, all I could taste was grease.  It was disgusting.  I periodically have fried shrimp, but that's usually the only thing fried I eat.  I do occasionally now eat  just a couple of French fries if they are hot and crispy and not very greasy, but even then 2 is usually enough.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/12 12:36 pm - OH
JUST the chili at Wendy's would have been a much better choice than fried breaded nuggets and French fries.  It is high in protein and low in fat.  Just because you can tolerate fried foods does not make them good choices.  Please take advantage of this early post-op time to really change your eating habits.  If you don't, you will probably regret it down the road when the malabsorption is gone and you are trying to maintain your weight loss.

Lora

poet_kelly
on 3/31/12 12:41 pm - OH
Do I understand right that your surgery was just over two weeks ago?  Are chicken nuggets and french fries on your surgeon's meal plan already?  You're not on pureed foods or anything like that?  I try not to play food police with people, but sometimes I'm really surprised by what people eat.  The chili wasn't a bad choice but I don't understand why you would choose french fries this early out.  yeah, I do eat four or five fries sometimes off my partner's plate, but I was at least several months out before I started doing that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/12 1:00 pm - OH
I did not notice how early out she was...  Wow.  Having a mild KFC Bowl flashback...

Lora

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/12 9:15 am - NJ
On March 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
I did not notice how early out she was...  Wow.  Having a mild KFC Bowl flashback...

Lora
Bwahahahaha - I remember that one!  Didn't she eat that at like 3 days out?
MrsLitch
on 3/31/12 12:51 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I have to agree with Kelly here. I'm not the food police either but.... nuggets and fries this early out?

I know I have liquid diet when i get out of the hospital followed by puree followed by soft followed by "regular" food and no carbs until 75% of my excess weight is gone.

I understand all doctors are different and some don't offer any post classes or diets but this post made me go hmmmm?!

Curious to know what your aftercare plan suggests food wise... not to be the police but because I am seriously interested in what different doctors choose.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/12 12:58 pm - OH
 Even my surgeon, who had a very liberal post-op plan (soft foods on Day 3 or 4, all but hard to digest HEALTHY foods by about 6 weeks out) would  NOT have approved of fried chicken nuggets or French fries anytime during the first six months.  We did not count calories or carbs... Her emphasis was on getting enough protein and on changing the bad habits.

Lora

OntrackAgain
on 3/31/12 12:54 pm - Ashburn, VA
RNY on 03/06/12
 Man that is wild!  I am almost four weeks out and still on puréed!  I think I would be to chicken to try that even now.  Glad you did not get sick.  

To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required!                
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views