Caffine....hypoglycemia?

Jerry R.
on 4/10/12 4:56 am - Simi Valley, CA
 Is there a connection?

I have read many many time to limit or avoide Caffine, but why?

I have been struggling with reactive hypoglycemia and want to know if there is a connection.

Personally I do have a lot, coffee and diet coke, and for the most part don't notice the Caffine at all.

Also, does anyone know why we (RNY patients) are not supposed to have carbonated drinks like diet coke?

Just what's on my mind!

JR
seattledeb
on 4/10/12 5:05 am
 Only if you were drinking them with a meal. Then the fluid (caffeine or not) would push the food through faster and increase your hypoglycemia.
Early out they say no caffeine because it increases your chances of ulcers.
Some people (me included) cannot handle carbonation in our pouch.
Deb T.

Karly Green
on 4/10/12 5:06 am - Middletown, NJ
My understanding is the caffeine leaches calcium from our bones so it's a "dehydrant" (is that a word?).
I still drink it though, but I waited about 9 months- a year after my RNY to start having it regularly.  

Watch what I eat at myfitnesspal.com username karkar28
M M
on 4/10/12 5:27 am
 There can be - caffeine can make you "feel" the effects of a blood sugar change - but it does not cause it.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/12 5:32 am
Anything that affect you body and hormones levels MAY make the RH better or worse. There is some study that show the caffeine will make RH worse. 
Google it.  Then try on yourself. 
I know that my RH is affected by caffeine and by alcohol. It gets worse, much worse if I combine carbs with coffee ... So I don;t do that. (i,e. cafe late - coffee with milk- will make my BS drop like crazy). Coffee with Almond milk (unsweet) - or with cream - not so much.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/12 5:36 am

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hedrider
on 4/10/12 5:42 am - Midlothian, TX
Yes.  There is a known correlation between caffeine and hypoglycemia. It's due to the insulin response to caffeine.  This is something I read about and questioned quite a bit pre-op because I had hypoglycemic episodes.  I found it corresponded with days I had higher caffeine intake (morning coffee vs no morning coffee).

As for carbonated beverages - you'll find schools of thought on whether it stretches the pouch or not.  I'm not of either school, but I've never been a soda drinker so it's not a big deal for me to abstain.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

TamaraL
on 4/10/12 11:10 am

regular hypoglycemia is affected by caffiene!!  if I drink a lot of caffiene then i am more sensitive to sugars and carbs.

My endocrinologist states no caffiene!!

Tamara

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 312 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 282 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 447 views