Anyone take Celebrex?

RobinAment
on 4/21/12 4:27 am - FL
 Good afternoon everyone! Went to see my Surgeon yesterday for my 3month checkup. Down 50lbs and I've lost half my body fat! Very happy. Bad thing is my joints like my hips and back are hurting. Dr says probably because there's no more cushion on those certain areas. He prescribed me Celebrex to start taking once a day for the pain. It is an NSAID. He says that Celebrex has the lowest chance compared to the others to get ulcers. There's still that chance though. Im thinking the pain is outweighing the risk right now. I just pray I get no complications from it. Was wondering if any of you take it and if so, how has it worked for you? Look forward to any feedback, good or bad. Thanks, Robin.

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/12 4:37 am - CA
RNY on 03/22/12
 As an RNY'er I was told by my surgeon that under no cir****tances would I be able I take NSAIDs again for the rest of my life. I am assuming since this is the forum for RNY procedure that you too had that particular procedure. Before surgery I also took a daily Celebrex but won't ever be able to again. I guess YOUR surgeon knows what's best for you though.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/12 4:43 am - OH
I took it before surgery but have not taken it since, because, as you said, although the risk for ulcers is lower than with other NSAIDs it is still there.  Did he also prescribe a PPI to take while you are takiNg the Celebrex?  I would NOT take any NSAID without also taking a PPI to help protect your stomach.  Remember, it is not so much developing an ulcer in your pouch that is the problem; the real problem comes if you get an ulcer in the blind, remnant stomach!

I am not sure I understand why he thinks you have inflammation just because the cushioning is gone.  Many people discover that their butts hurt when they sit for a long time, but your joints are more likely hurting because as you lose weight 1) your center of gravity can shift, causing your posture to change in order to keep your balance, and 2) your gait changes back to a more normal gait, but that causes stress on the hips as they readjust.  Neither of those things results in inflammation, so you may be risking ulcers by taking a drug for a condition you don't have.  I would think a moderate pain medication like Tramadol and some strengthening exercises for your back muscles and hip flexor muscles would be much more useful (and carry no risk).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

RobinAment
on 4/21/12 4:43 am - FL
 I would hope he knows what's best for me. I'm just really confused what to do right now. I've only had one dose and I'm starting to wonder if I should just try not to take it. By the way, yes I had RNY as well. I wish I knew if some kind of natural remedy for my back pain. Sure wish Tylenol was stronger. 

RobinAment
on 4/21/12 4:44 am - FL
 Oh and thank you very much for your response.

RobinAment
on 4/21/12 4:54 am - FL
 Thank you very much Lora! What you said really makes a lot if sense. I'm not going to take anymore. My body is changing so quickly and I have bones popping up that I didn't know we're there lol its crazy! I need to find out exactly what these strenghening exercises are and start doing them. I don't even know where to begin. I wonder if my PCM would allow me to get physical therapy to learn these exercises. Can't hurt to ask.. If I googled them, what exactly would I call these exercises? I'm willing to try anything besides the Celebrex which scares the heck out if me! 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/12 5:05 am, edited 4/21/12 5:08 am - OH
Try some of these...

www.livestrong.com/article/156403-hip-flexor-strengthening-exercises/

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13410-0,00.html

http://www.livestrong.com/low-back-exercises/

http://www.bigbackpain.com/back_exercises.html

Lora
Edited to add... Sorry, looks like even though I put them in as 4 separate links, they got grouped into only one, so you will have to copy and paste them instead of just clicking. I am sure it has something to do with using an iPad... I have a hard time with certain tasks.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cherokeesage
on 4/21/12 5:11 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I'd ask for an MRI to make sure you do not have something that can be treated with an injection.  I pushed through back and hip pain for a long time and then it shot down one leg.  I have a herniated disc (which is not uncomon) that is dripping on the sciatic nerve.  Exercise is always good as long as it doesn't aggravate it. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

RobinAment
on 4/21/12 5:36 am - FL
Thanks so VERY much Lora!! You're a life saver. They showed as 4 separate links to me. Going to check them out now... 

RobinAment
on 4/21/12 5:45 am - FL
 @Barbara..thx for your reply as well. Im going to call and schedule an appt with my PCM on Monday and let him know what's going on and ask about getting an MRI. I hope I get all this figured out soon. I really do appreciate everyone's quick response. Not sure what I'd do without this site! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views