nervous

swampwoman
on 4/23/12 11:49 pm - Hampton, NJ
At my last Surgeon apt, my doctor asked if I would be attending the seminar this month.  I told him that I was and he asked if he could put me on the spot.  Usually after the seminar several people that have had the surgery speak about their experience.  I was wondering what everyone thinks should be the important facts about the surgery.  I was planning on just introducing myself, giving my date of surgery and amount of wgt lost and then talking a little bit about the journey and having to be really ready mentally for the changes that will come.  Does anyone have any advice about what else I should relate to the people that have not had the surgery yet.
There are so many things in my head that I would like to convey, but I only have a few minutes on the "spot".

Thanks
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
MichelleNC
on 4/24/12 12:06 am
 As a pre op patient I would like to know YOUR experience. Yes I can read about statistics online but I would like to know your stats, how you got to where you are at in the weight loss like did you work out, what was your calorie intake, and also what your experience was like with your medical group who did your surgery. What has been the hardest thing for you and how was your pre op experience any hints to get thru that phase.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Sonogrrl
on 4/24/12 12:07 am
RNY on 05/22/12
I think you have the right idea. The one I attended had no structure & they allowed this one lady to go on & on forever. If I had my choice I would have preferred to hear her surgery type; before & after weight & length of time to lose & then allow folks to just ask questions.
I'm sure you'll do great!
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
ToNewBeginnings
on 4/24/12 12:19 am, edited 4/24/12 12:20 am
People always seem to want to know how much time it took  to lose the weight. I wouldn't focus on this as it is different for everyone and could be discouraging for those that lose slowly.

I think one thing that many don't realize before they have surgery is that they may not dump or have adverse affects to sugar etc. Many people think they will never be able to eat crappy foods again. 
In actuality the reality is quite different. 

I would stress that if you don't want to know if you can eat those foods then don't open the box! The more you try the more you realize that you can eat junk foods and the more likely you are to eat them.

I would also stress that within the first year or so it's relatively easy to take off 100 lbs or so but when you near goal you have to really work at it. You have to make the tool work for you. you have to work at  eating healthy for the rest of your life.

swampwoman
on 4/24/12 12:37 am - Hampton, NJ
Thanks so much everyone, I just really did not want to go on and on and on.  I can't stand that myself.  I am sure I will cover the MOST important bullets. LOL
takqia1
on 4/24/12 1:13 am
To the point and make sure to say its a tool and its not always easy.
When I was 5 days post surgery I went to a seminar with my daughter to a surgeon that I've learned to dislike. Luckily its not our surgeon... but back to the point I did tell them I was 5 days post up and a brief discription of my experience thus far.
People were just more curious than anything but I think the bariatrics world would be a great career for those that have had the surgery.
So many great people out there ready to start their journeys.
Go inspire them and be proud of the new you how exciting!
Larry Wassmann
on 4/24/12 1:33 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 At our introductory seminar we had a beautiful young lady address us. Lets face it most of us there may have been beautiful inside, but on the outside......well let me just say we were kind of like mounds of flesh. I had no idea who she was sitting there while other doctors and nurses took us through the steps needed for the surgery. Then this beautiful lady got up and told us that she had the surgery a couple of years ago. She told in detail how scared she was and what the surgery was like, what she did to make sure she would be successful. She was very positive and upbeat about the surgery and encouraged us all. She talked about how her life was before surgery and how wonderful her life was now that she could do things she does, that she thought would never happen for her.

It was like going in to a fine car showroom and realizing that yes we could have one of those if we just follow the rules. It was one of the most inspirational events I have had about the RNY and I am glad I went. Oh by the way, I don't expect to come out of the surgery as a beautiful young lady unless my surgeon makes a major mistake.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/24/12 1:43 am, edited 4/24/12 1:44 am
a handsome young man perhaps?

Monica M.
on 4/24/12 1:47 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

I hope you don't mind if i laugh, if that should happen. Have you thought about what your new name would be?

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/24/12 2:52 am
You're quick Monica. That's a good one!