Iron Confusion...Please Help!

Melly_Belly
on 4/24/12 5:53 am - WI
So I'm almost a year out from surgery and have been very diligent with my vitamin regimen, taking what I thought were the correct amounts of each vitamin/mineral I needed post RNY. Then yesterday at a bariatric support group meeting, the nutritionist and nurse said that I needed 325 mg of iron daily.

Can someone PLEASE explain this to me?

I used to take Vitalady's Tender Iron (60mg) with Vitamin C (400mg) three times a day...this is only 180mg of Iron - would I really need to take ANOTHER three pills to get to my MD's recommendation of 325 mg?!

Maybe the point is moot since I no longer take this kind due to severe constipation that even couldn't be 'controlled' by taking three stool softeners a day

So now I take Solgar Gentle Iron - it's non-constipating and states on the label that it's got 25 mg Iron (As Iron Bisglycinate). Again, do I really need to take 13 pills to meet the daily recommendation?!

Sorry if this is a dumb question with a very simple answer. Thanks!

Surgery Date: May 23, 2011

HW: 307.9 SW: 299.5 CW: 181.8 GW: 155

Cherokeesage
on 4/24/12 5:58 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I don't have a clue but I plan to add or subtract iron amounts based on lab results and my Drs guidance.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/24/12 6:08 am
relax..
they most likley were talking about: 325 mg Ferrous Sulfate that is equal to 65mg elemental Iron.
Since you take 3 x 60 mg= 180 mg of elemental iron..If you absorb the iron (some do not - no matter what) -then you are taking almsot 3 times what they are talking about...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 4/24/12 7:04 am - OH
I think the nutritionist is recommended 325 mg ferrous sulfate, which only has 65 mg of elemental iron.  The rest is iron salts.  That's what makes people so constipated when they take ferrous sulfate.

What you were taking is correct.  You're taking carbonyl iron, which is all elemental iron.  The ASMBS recommends 54-63 mg elemental iron for menstruating women and 36 mg for everyone else.

You were just talking to a nutritionist and nurse that don't know the difference in different types of iron and aren't familiar with the ASMBS guidelines, like they should be.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melly_Belly
on 4/24/12 7:39 am - WI
THANK YOU so much for clearing this up!! You have no idea how confused I've been, but this very simple answer makes everything clear.

Surgery Date: May 23, 2011

HW: 307.9 SW: 299.5 CW: 181.8 GW: 155

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 8:47 am - waukesha, WI
poet_kelly
on 4/24/12 9:01 am - OH
Who is Jeanne?  If that is your dietician, and she has never heard of carbonyl iron, I recommend finding a registered dietician that has a basic education in vitamin and mineral supplements.  Carbonyl iron is a very common type of supplement, found in local drug stores and available online.  It's recommended for RNY patients because it is absorbed more easily than ferrous sulfate and the other iron salts and is less likely to cause constipation.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 12:34 pm - waukesha, WI
Yep..........shocking hey!
owlisn
on 4/24/12 9:51 am - NC
 Kelly, what Iron do you take?  I am not on any extra right now, but want to have a brand in mind if I need to start at some point.
Allison

poet_kelly
on 4/24/12 11:04 am - OH
Sundown Perfect iron.  Because it's carbonyl iron and it's cheap and easy to find in stores.  There are other brands that are just as good, but I like cheap.  And sometimes I can find it buy one get one free.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 320 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 99 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 108 views
Recent Topics