yoga

kimberkim
on 4/24/12 9:48 am - Stouffville, Canada
How soon after surgery can one start going to yoga? At 6 weeks my surgeon and dietician said to wait. But I don't remember how long I should wait. I had my surgery March 5th. I went back to work on March 13th. I've been recovering really well (except for a minor bout of the flu).

So if any of you have been practicing yoga, how soon after surgery did you start? Or do any of you know when it's safe to start?

Thanks a bunch!

christinalee
on 4/24/12 10:59 am - At Home in, NH
I didn't ask specifically about yoga, but my doc cleared me for all activity at 8 weeks, whi*****luded weight lifting, aerobics, running, etc. Most styles of yoga are not vigorous, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't clear you now or in another week. I might avoid power yoga (ashtanga) for a little bit, but hatha I think would be fine.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/12 12:55 pm - waukesha, WI

If it is a beginners yoga ........I think you would be fine.  It's much more gentle then weight lifting and I started weight lifting at 6 weeks.  I was back into the pool at 3 weeks.  Although, I threw out my back on Sunday doing yoga but I am old. 

hedrider
on 4/25/12 12:48 am - Midlothian, TX
Are you on any restrictions?  If you are cleared for weight lifting then gentle or beginner yoga is probably okay.  Altough, it is a lot of muscle work and I would probably avoid any specific core moves or twists.  If you go back, let the instructor know you just had stomach/bowel surgery (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to be) and she can instruct you in any modifications neccessary.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 252 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views