what are sugar alcohols and where do I find them?

ritarugger
on 5/8/12 3:16 am - NY
For the life of me, I cannot find sugar alcohol on any nutrition labels.  Am I looking in the wrong place.  I haven't had surgery yet, but I am trying to get prepared
Cheryl N.
on 5/8/12 3:35 am - Des Moines, WA
I think any products that ends in -iol  manitol, x, soribitol, etc...

Some can cause you to dump, as your stomach will be angry.   Excessive compustion can cause diarrhea, cramps, etc.

I have tried sugar free ice cream, but it made my stomach angry and I felt weird afterwards.  Not worth it.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

lillypond...
on 5/8/12 3:47 am
  • Erythritol
  • Hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
  • Isomalt
  • Lactitol
  • Maltitol
  • Mannitol
  • Sorbitol
  • Xylitol

These are some sugar alcohols: so even thru it may not been in the ingredients as sugar alcohol these could be there;; Be careful too much can make you dump-- A lot of sugar free stuff has a lot of these in them :)

jazzycatz
on 5/8/12 3:49 am - Joppa, MD
If aproduct contains one of the -iols that the previous poster mentioned you can find out how much is in a product underneath the carb listing.  It will give you total carbs and then break it down into fiber, sugar and sugar alcohols. 

ritarugger
on 5/8/12 6:20 am - NY
Thank you all so much for the quick reply. I am really doing my best to get prepared for this!!!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 316 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 9 replies · 40 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?